RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

November 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
nattivillin

I read the wiki on setting up the folder mappings. Its either staring me in the face, or im having a brain fart.

the example says:

F:\OfficalFiles\Docs - Mapped path as Client PCs see it.
* - Divides between the network and local path of the mapping.
C:\AllUserOfficeFiles Docs - Local path as the server sees it.

Mapped path as client pc sees it meaning? The client pc connected to our internal network? Or the client pc from a customers office using the web interface?

November 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
nattivillin

The documents are on the server. Same server where CommitCRM lives.

\\SERVER\COMMIT\DOCS* c:\CommitCRM\Docs

The networked pc's do not have direct access to the documents location on the server. Nor are they stored locally on the client pc's. DO we need to create the c:\CommitCRM\Docs on every client pc?

November 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Support Team

Hi nativillin,

Thanks for your post. I'll try to explain the way the folder mappings works, and I hope this will help to make it clearer.

The folder mappings are required in order to allow Web Interface users to download/upload documents. There is no need to define anything new on your client PCs (by client PC I mean a PC on your LAN running the RangerMSP client application), only add the folder mappings in the Web Interface settings in RangerMSP.

The purpose is that the Web Interface Service will be able to access them when receiving such requests from a browser.

The RangerMSP Document files can be physically stored in various places on your server. The system has a default documents folder (as mapped in Tools > Options > Documents > Default Document Folder), which is usually physically located on the server.

Note that the documents UNC path in the Document's properties is stored in the same way the client PCs sees it. This is usually some kind of network path to the folder on the server (e.g. \\Server\RangerMSP\Docs or F:\RangerMSP\Docs).

When the Web Interface tries to access a file on the server, this is done via the Web Interface service, running on your server. This means that the paths that are specified in the document properties in RangerMSP will probably not be comprehensible to the Web Interface Service running on your server (because the Web interface knows only c:\RangerMSP\Docs rather than \\Server\RangerMSP\Docs or F:\RangerMSP\Docs).

So, the bottom line is, nothing needs to change on any of your computers, you just need to "teach" the web interface how to translate path such as \\Server\RangerMSP\Docs to c:\RangerMSP\Docs.

In any case, it's all explained on our wiki page here.

I hope this makes more sense now.

Neta

November 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
nattivillin

I think i figured it out. I was logged into a client station, it kept telling me it couldn't find the folders.

I logged into the server and set it up and now it looks to be working.

November 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
nattivillin

spoke too soon. Imported all the documents in the folder \CommitCRM\docs. When i click documents in commit, it shows them all, then says file does not exist or cannot be accessed.

November 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Support Team

Hi,

When you import a whole folder into RangerMSP, you aren't actually copying the files from the local computer to the RangerMSP server, you are only linking the files from there current location into the RangerMSP documents database.

If you've imported a document folder into RangerMSP, and other computers than the one which you imported the folder from cannot view/edit these files, by telling you "file does not exist or cannot be accessed ", then here's the explanation:

In order to test this theory, you can try to use RangerMSP to access these documents from the computer you've imported from.

For more information regarding Importing Multiple Documents & Windows Security Settings, please click here.

Let us know if this helps.

Neta