RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

April 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
JRay_vanguard

We are looking into various CRM/PSA packages and have installed the trial version ofCommitCRM. I have noticed, though, that CommitCRM does not seem to include a method to generate timesheets based on ticket entries.

I am curious what others do to track time spent by employees. Do you generate a custom report? Do you use another time tracking package?

Also, we currently track employee time spent not only on billable/non-billable customer work, but also on administrative tasks,research, logistic or internal work. What would be the best way to track time spent on internal tasks that are not related to a customer?

April 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Support Team

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

When working with RangerMSP, your employees can enter Charges for any work they perform (for specific customers or for internal purposes). This way all their time is logged into the system and can be tracked later on by reports. You can find some more helpful information on tracking internal activities in this forum thread.

You can then use various Charge reports in order to track your employees time.
For example, you may consider one of the following reports:

1) "Monthly Hours Summary By Employee" - can provide an quick overview of the timesheets per employee. This is not a weekly detailed report, but rather a monthly summary per day, but I know may users find it very helpful.

2) "Account Charges" may also work well for you. This will list the charges grouped by accounts, which can be good for you. You can customize it and remove all pricing information, leaving only the amount of time/parts in the report. You can generate this report per employee. Again, this will generate the results for whole timeframe at once, without breaking it to weeks, but it can still be helpful.

3) Another helpful report is the "Itemized Account Charges Summary" which breaks-down the results by the different items. This is a summary report which doesn't list each charge on its own but rather a summary per item.

Using the Charges in order to track all activities, together with the Charge Reports, provides a great way to track your employees time.

Neta

August 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Insight101

We also use want to use CommitCRM in this way. Currently we create "internal/admin" tickets that our techs log non-customer work to. That way we can report on customer versus internal works (we have customised the "Employee Charges Report").

But to expand further, for customer tickets, we require reporting on time spent versus time billed (per charge) to calculate productivity metrics for each tech. The issue we are having is being able to record/report on this. For example, say a tech works 3 hrs on a job, but only charges 2 hours how do we track and report on this?

In a charge we tried using start time and end time to give the "calculated duration" button (actual time spent), and chose to not copy it to the charge field (time charged), but we haven't been able to report on the "calculated duration" field.

We have also tried a dual entry approach for each charge - one "billable" with billable time, the other non-billable for actual time spent, but this is twice the work for each charge.

We are now looking at using "Field1" at the bottom of each charge to record actual time spent and the charge field for time charged. But again, we are having trouble with tallying the sum of "Field1" entries in the report.

If anyone has another method, we'd be really interested in knowing how you do this!

August 28th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Support Team

Hi Insight101,

I see what you mean. Having an additional "internal time" field for each charge is an interesting idea which actually comes up once in a while. We may address this in the future, thanks for your feedback on this.

At the moment I can suggest two ways to handle this:
1) Keep the "internal time" field in the ticket level, and use it in reports. This is not per charge, but may be helpful for reporting purposes. In tickets you can define your own user-defined fields, so you can add a real numeric field and use it for calculation in reports as well.

2) Another option is similar to one of the solutions you suggested, but I believe it may be more feasible: the idea is to use the dual entry approach for each charge - one "billable" with billable time, and the other non-billable, but as opposed to the original suggestion, the second one will only contain the extra time (e.g. 1 hour in your example). To avoid the full double entry, you can enter the first charge, and then copy it (right-click the charge and use the Copy option) it, which can make the process easier. You may also consider using a different item for these charges, to make it easier to distinguish in reports.

I hope you find these solutions helpful.

Sheli