RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

January 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
bawalker

Hello,

Currently I am demoing the CRM software but it appears that I've finally found the software I've been needing for quite some time. After a years worth of demoing all types of 'computer tech' software that never came close to meeting our needs, I stumbled across CommitCRM. I have to say I am blown away about how it feels like CommitCRM was designed around every need I have as a computer tech and business owner. I am really impressed.

The question I have relates to purchasing the Client or the networkable database software. Currently I am getting this business going and will be the only tech for a while using CRM for field and inhouse computer repair work. I have multiple locations in house (various labs/rooms) where I do work. If I was to purchase the SQL/Database option for $249, do I then also have to purchase the client software for $249 as well? Or is the client software included in the SQL Database option?

The reason for this is that I would have CommitCRM on a field netbook and rather than carrying that netbook into each and every lab area I'm working on, I want to be able to install that on a PC in the lab, a PC in my office, and still only use the 1 active license to use it.

Is this possible?? Thanks!

Bradley

January 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Support Team

Hi Bradley,

Thank you for your great feedback.

RangerMSP is ready to be used in your local network, from several different PCs that access the same shared database at the same time. This is true even without using SQL Database.
In other words, you can purchase a single employee license for RangerMSP and still run RangerMSP client from several different PCs on your LAN - all accessing the shared data which is stored on your server/main computer.

SQL Database is an optional add-on product. It is usually required for larger networks. You can read more about it here.

Cheers,
Dina

January 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
bawalker

Dina,

Thanks for that information, that is definitely what I wanted to hear! That will work PERFECTLY in our network here.

The other question I do have is, currently my plans are to be able to take a small netbook or laptop on the road with me to do client jobs on site. This won't be more than 25% of my work load, however I would like to have access to the CommitCRM software. My plan is to install CommitCRM on the laptop and access the data locally while on the road. Due to most of my customers having dialup or no internet at all on occasion, using the web-based login may not help me or be reliable under those circumstances.

Will it be possible for me to have a copy of the database on the laptop, a copy on a shared server at the office only to bring the laptop back with updated data and sync it with the shared data?

Bradley

January 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Support Team

Hi Bradley,

Thank you for your question. RangerMSP is an installed application, and works with a central database. All users should work directly with the database (via the application or the Web Interface), so I don't think you will be able to work exactly as you planned, however, I believe you will find some other option provide with the solution for what you need.

You should probably consider using any of the following options when on the road:

1. You can connect remotely over remote-access technologies, such as Remote Desktop or Terminal Services (which requires the SQL version). This way you can run the application as if you are in the office, and access all the data online. This option requires good internet connection.

2. Using the Web Interface - this allows you to add and update information directly into the RangerMSP database using a browser. The Web Interface works great also with slow or dialup connections as it is very efficient and doesn't require high-bandwidth connections. When using the Web Interface you can update tickets, add charges, update appointments, see customers details, and much, much more.

3. Another option is using the RangerMSP-Outlook Sync. RangerMSP provides a full two-ways synchronization with Outlook calendar, and it allows you to sync the appointments from RangerMSP to Outlook. You can then update the appointments in Outlook with comments and describe the work performed. When back in the office, you can then sync the changes back to RangerMSP. This way you will have all the work description in the appointment itself in RangerMSP. The nice part about this is that you can charge for this job directly from the appointment itself - you can right-click the appointment in RangerMSP and select to "Charge Appointment", which will create a charge for this appointment, and will copy the time and comments to the charge. This way you will have all of your comments which were updated when you were on-site, copied into the charges. This is a good option even have no internet connection at all, which makes it very helpful in your case.

I hope this gives you helpful some ideas, and thanks for the input.

Ethan

January 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
bawalker

Ethan,

Thanks for the information on CommitCRM. While the biggest issue my business faces is that there is no wireless service and many times customers do not have any sort of internet service active. I'm best debating on how to handle customers where I pickup the equipment for repair from their site, or perform repair on site. If they have internet, then I could do the wireless option to update via the web, which is no problem, esp over dialup connections. I figure at worst, I can just open notepad when on site, document tasks in there, and then fill out CommitCRM when I return to the office or get in a wireless hotspot.

Thanks for the info.

Also how can I extend my trial for another 15-30 days? I have some last few things I want to test here and ensure everything is working before purchasing.

Bradley

January 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Support Team

Hi Bradley, please contact us directly by email to Support @ regarding the trial extension.

Thanks.