No announcement yet.

Adding new fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Adding new fields

I need to know how to add new fields. I looked at a previous artice to go to tools,add field but I don't have that option. Please help.

Re: Adding new fields

Hi lenora,

RangerMSP allows you to customize existing fields, and when needed, you can also add your own tabs and fields.

To customize an existing field, simply double-click the field, and this will open the Field Settings window, where you can rename the field and see other settings.

Adding new tabs and fields can be done from each window, for the relevant entity. For example. if you want to add new fields to assets, go to the Assets window, click the Assets menu > Tools > Tab Management or Field Management option. Same goes for Accounts, Tickets, etc., each from their own dedicated menu.

[urlmp=/wiki/Customization]Click here[/urmpl] for more details and screen shots.

In any case, before you start, please note that it is highly recommended to backup RangerMSP before performing any field customization.

I hope this helps to make it clearer.

Neta

Comment

is there any additional information on how to use the "tabs" + "fields" in the new tab? it will be nice to have a demonstration video on how to use it, as it will really help to customize CommitCRM to fit everyone's business workflow. or say add additional database tables to store the business's stuff. It will be so great to be able to customize the database & the fields. That way we can record anything we want without making changes to the original database structure.

Comment

Hi asmbit,

RangerMSP indeed allows you to add your own tabs to the display. You can also add fields to the tabs, which can be existing fields (which are displayed in other system tabs as well), or totally new fields which can be added to the database.

Adding new fields to the database allows you to store the business's stuff, so you can record anything you want without making changes to the original database structure, just as you said.

In the link above (see also here) you can see some screen shots which show from where you can add the new tabs and fields. We do plan on adding a tutorial video to make this even clearer, thanks for the feedback on this.

At the moment, you can try it and see how it works for you. Adding the new fields is done using an easy-to-use wizard, which walks you through the steps for defining new fields.

Although adding new fields is quite intuitive, it is recommended to try this on a standalone trial installation (you can download a trial from our web site here, and install it on a different computer, indepentent of your real RangerMSP installation). this way you can play with the new fields, until you decide on the configuration which fits your needs most.

After determining your new fields, you can go on and add them to your real system. Make sure to backup RangerMSP before you start, just in case (especially \db and \DbSys folders).

I hope this helps.

Sherry

Comment

Thanks, i did that before and i end up with tabs that i no longer want, or fields i want that are not available. now i can't delete them or don't know how.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, you can hide tabs and delete fields from tabs if you need to.

To hide tabs you do not wish to use anymore, go to the tab management window, and deselect the tab from the available tabs list. This will keep the tab, if you need it in the future, but it will remove it from the display for this entity.

As for fields you do not need, when editing a tab (from the Field Management option), you can right-click the field in the tab, and select the "Delete From Tab" option.

I hope this helps.

Ethan

Comment

Working...
            X