RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

January 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
nharel

Hi all,

I read the Zip tutorial on how to backup the system, but I have a backup program that I use for my servers and would like to know 1. What folders/files need to be backed up 2. Do I need to stop any services when backup runs

Thank you

Nate

January 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Support Team

Hi Nate,

Thanks for posting this.
Generally, we don’t recommend allowing external backup software to directly backup the RangerMSP database, since the RangerMSP backup process also executes a database maintenance switch that closes all database connections so that there are no permission issues, and to insure that all files are backed up.
  • Instead, if you use the RangerMSP backup utility, you can have your external backup software backup the file created by the RangerMSP backup utility. This would require manually creating each backup file to be backed up by your system; however, this is the most reliable backup solution available for this type of database.

• Alternatively, we have posted an automated backup script in another forum post which does not require user interaction, and if you use that then you can set your external backup software to backup the file created by the script. Also, the backup script has been designed with sections so that you can take parts you want from the script, and use them in your own scripts. So that you can create your own scripts that can also start and stop the database as a safety precaution.

The RangerMSP Services can be left on during the backup procedures that we suggested, since these processes automatically stop the database so it could be backed up.
Let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Reno Breen

January 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
nharel

HI Reno,

I am looking at the script and want to change the Zip program to my own. But don't understand the command that zip is using.

Can you explain the various options

I can see that it is creating a file with the "-u" option that has the date in the name. And I can surmise that it is backing up the db,dbsys,filters folders.

But what is the "-x commitstop".

January 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Support Team

Hi Nate,

Thanks for posting this.
The -x RangerMSPstop parameter is meant to remove any files from the archive called RangerMSPStop.ini. this is the file that the script creates in order to stop the database.

If you like you can leave the file in the archive, and during the RangerMSP restore process, the last step would remove the file for you.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Reno Breen

January 14th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Support Team

Just please be sure to allow the database the 5 minutes to ensure that all connections are dropped prior to executing the backup.

Reno

July 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM
SmartIT

Hi Nate,

thought you may be interested in a small program we've just created to backup you CommitCRM folders for you. You can download this from http://www.smartitsupport.com/softwa...tcrm/setup.exe

let me know your feedback

July 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I-Netcs

This is the utility CommitCRM should use. Love it! Thanks
CommitCRM should by the app from you and use it

July 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
I-Netcs

Only critiue, is please don't make the backup progress message modal.

July 23rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I-Netcs

SmartIT on other thing, if the path the the CommitCRM files and folders should be cached. I have CommitCRM running on a server share, if we can remember the path rather than have to navigate to it manually each time would be helpful.

But it's a greta BU utility.

August 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM
SmartIT

Thanks for the feedback. Thought it might come in handy for some users.

with regards making the progress modal, do you mean adding the ability to cancel or allowing the user to use the main form?

I will also add the feature to save/load the settings for the folders in the registry, you should see an update soon.

August 1st, 2011, 05:16 PM
SmartIT

updated version available from http://www.smartitsupport.com/misc-p...-for-commitcrm

April 14th, 2013, 09:21 AM
SmartIT

The backup program is now located at http://www.smartitsoftware.co.uk/pro...-for-commitcrm.

April 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM
northwestmsp

Does this stop/start the CommitCRM database and perform the "clean up" that supposedly happens when we run a manual CommitCRM backup?