RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

November 4th, 2023, 03:39 AM
ak47uk

I have an issue where if I am using Ranger but Outlook is not open, when Ranger runs an auto-sync with Outlook, it freezes the program.

The Sync pop-up appears, in my systray the icon to say a program is accessing Outlook appears, but nothing happens. I can't see a way to cancel the sync, if I right-click the Outlook systray and stop/exit it doesn't make the Ranger sync pop-up disappear, so I have to end Ranger in taskmgr, losing any unsaved work.

Generally speaking, I have Outlook open throughout the day, but twice this week I didn't and I have lost some work in Ranger as a result.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

November 6th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

In general Outlook sync should work even if Outlook is closed.

This issue might be related to using Outlook/Exchange in the cached mode. Please try to disable the cached mode as explained here and see how it works.

For testing you can run the sync manually using the Tools menu > Synchronize Outlook .

In case the above will not make any difference, it may be related to Outlook installation. Please try to run Office Repair, or as alternative, uninstall Office, restart the PC and reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

November 6th, 2023, 06:26 AM
ak47uk

Cached exchange mode is enabled by default and I prefer to use it for performance as online mode takes a bit longer to navigate between folders. Is RangerMSP not compatible with cached mode when Outlook is closed? It works fine when Outlook is open.

Thanks

November 6th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Support Team

From our experience, in most cases there is NO need to turn the cached mode off, however if the sync does not work with Outlook closed, cached mode might be a reason for this (or disabling it may affect other aspects that prevented it from working).
You may try turning it off and see whether it has any affect on the sync, I guess you can always undo this setting.

Hope this helps.

December 4th, 2023, 11:29 AM
ak47uk

Quick update, I did a clean install of Windows and all my software and the issue is still present. I have not disabled cached exchange mode yet as I need it to work in Outlook effectively. If I get time I will try switching to online mode and see if it makes a difference.

December 5th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Support Team

Thank you for the update.