RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

January 25th, 2021, 05:33 AM
I-Netcs

I know there was an older thread, I think as things mature discussions need to be revised too.

I've been using Solarwinds I've found it to be ok, there are a lot of buggy things about it. Patches don't always fire, the remote control tool is pretty fickle at times, it seems to act up when you need it most. lol.

I was looking at connectwise, it looks pretty cool, the scripting looks pretty cool, building off actions you take, and the remote enabling you to use the clients phone camera to get a visual of what is happening onsite is awesome! I got a demo Friday and played all weekend, did a better job patching.

What is your experience?

January 25th, 2021, 10:26 PM
nattivillin

We're considering switching to CW as well for RMM and PSA. Too much work entering data into multiple systems.

January 26th, 2021, 04:19 PM
I-Netcs

I think the integrated PSA's are great convenience, but a little too detailed that they bill to the second.

Our clients are actually very happy we are a little flexible and give and take a little.

February 25th, 2021, 12:55 PM
nattivillin

I didnt consider billing to the second but i wouldnt mind. We'd probably always round up anyway.

February 25th, 2021, 01:01 PM
nattivillin

Our biggest need is integration stack wide. I realized someone on our team spends 20+ hours a week entering data into Ranger that would automatically sync with another PSA/RMM.

That person spends another 10 hours a week manually doing things in ranger that other PSA/RMM automatically does.

It is almost full time job!

February 26th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Support Team

You should probably consider using the API to further automate the relevant parts.

February 26th, 2021, 10:03 AM
nattivillin

We're not API people. I know what it is, but I cant "make them work".

February 26th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Support Team

You should probably consider using hiring someone from Upwork, or a similar service. Spending some "hours" on them may save plenty of "hours" on a regular and repeating basis, and once finding the right person to work with there, you may be able to let them implement stuff from time to time should you have new requirements. Anyway, only an idea to consider.

February 28th, 2021, 08:34 AM
nattivillin

I understand. I've always considered Ranger too important and secure to let some random upworker tinker with it. If they hide something in the code that sends them secure client info, there isn't a way for me to know.

March 1st, 2021, 06:09 AM
Support Team

This is a valid point, however, you own the source code, have access to it and can review it yourself or ask someone you trust to review it. It should be straightforward overall, no rocket science here and any malicious*part should be easily detected with a quick review. Something to consider...

March 1st, 2021, 05:24 PM
aaspeer

Support - It is time to start further integrating into other products.

March 8th, 2021, 07:35 PM
Robfnz

Agreed!
The Xero link could do with some work.

July 20th, 2021, 01:14 AM
ak47uk

Late to the party on this one, I am looking to make the move from break/fix to a hybrid MSP and am starting to look into RMM. I have a webinar booked with N-Able this morning but looking at the Ranger integrations page it looks like Continuum or GFI MAx best integrate and when I look into GFI it seems they are now part of Solarwinds/N-Able?

Is anyone here using an RMM with Ranger and what are your experiences? I probably don't use Ranger to it's full potential but it does what I need, I'm just wary about increasing my admin workload through double entry of data etc. I have no experience with API and would rather not have to do an external hire for it for reason mentioned in this thread.

July 20th, 2021, 06:00 AM
Support Team

Thanks for asking. Many use the RangerMSP integration with the "MaxFocus" RMM, that had also been referred to as GFI-MAX - This product is now one of the two main RMM offerings by Solarwinds, so not their N-able option but the other one. Thanks.

July 30th, 2021, 05:39 PM
adent-ctc

@nattivillin says "Our biggest need is integration stack wide. I realized someone on our team spends 20+ hours a week entering data into Ranger that would automatically sync with another PSA/RMM."

This is exactly the kind of problem that is our ambition to solve with our Jupiter Nexus platform.
We already support Creating a new customer in RangerMSP and ITPortal at the same time. Soon to come, the same functionality will be implemented for Hudu.

The RMM platform we currently support in Jupiter Nexus is Naverisk, however unfortunately the Naverisk API doesn't currently support creating new customers, therefore we cannot either.

December 21st, 2022, 07:33 PM
I-Netcs

Any plans to incorporate Ninja RMM ito work with Ranger?

December 22nd, 2022, 06:02 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

We may add such integrations in the future.

Despite not having a direct two-way API based integration with NinjaRMM, you should be able to automatically convert email alerts from NinjaRMM into new Tickets in RangerMSP already using the Automated Emails feature of the Email Connector feature.

This is how it successfully works well with many other not-officially-supported automated systems like RMM, backup, etc.

Hope this helps!