RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > Running an IT Services Business

May 15th, 2013, 04:09 PM
-David-

I was browsing the web yesterday and came across an article that stated a customer can sue if you carry out a backup of the PC without consent.

now to cut a long story short for a few year now I have imaged computers before carrying out repairs that I believe may result in catastrophic OS problems if it goes wrong, for example virus/Trojan removals or OS not responding at all.

my question to you guys is do you make a customer sign a disclaimer that you will carry out a back up on difficult repairs?

Do you as I have just backup repair then delete the backup?

If you do backup do you charge for it.

May 15th, 2013, 09:58 PM
nattivillin

I let them choose. It adds more time to the bill. If they want the added protection, then we'll do it.

June 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
-David-

Well now asking clients if they want a backup or not for extra fee if doing work that can end in distaster

June 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM
nattivillin

It's not really an extra fee. They pay for on-site time. If it takes longer it cost more.

June 8th, 2013, 08:27 AM
PC MedEvac

David

Can you post a link to the article. We have been making bench images for 15 years and I would prefer not giving this up right now as it has tremendous value and helps us keep clients from hurting themselves.

We have discussed charging for the option and may do that. Call it soemthing like a safty backup. Charge $40 to $60. A real life saver if there is abad drive in the mix.

Good discussion.

June 18th, 2013, 05:25 AM
natrat

We generally do it automatically on any workshop job that involves anything that affects the OS majorly or the hard drive. However we don't sell this as a feature. We make clients sign a thing that says "backup is your responsibility, whilst we take all care and effort we are not liable for loss of data blah blah blah". its mainly for our use to recover to a previous state if something catastrophic happens, and also its useful when doing data transfers to new PCs, theres often something in some random file system location that forgot to mention that a week later they ask where it is. Mounting a backup image and grabbing any file form the OS is useful. Also i've had a workbench UPS catch fire in the middle of a job corrupting the OS. its nice to be able to recover from that stuff with little effort.

July 5th, 2013, 01:52 PM
-David-

PC MedEvav

I cannot find the site anymore sorry

July 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM
-David-

I encourage my clients now that a backup before any work is done is sound advice, if they don't want it then there loss as it is now clear on my disclaimer.