RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

June 7th, 2022, 08:10 PM
cits10

When uploading an inline image to a knowledgebase article, the preview does not show the image, it instead shows a simple grey square/cross, unable to display the image.

In the edit view, the link to the image is generated like this;

![](CMTXFILEFOLDERKBAEL83PYIREW2Z9CS3H-C7700.png)

Any idea what might be causing it to fail displaying the image?

June 8th, 2022, 06:07 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

The images that are added to the Knowledge Base article are saved in the folder <installation-folder>/XternalDataFiles5.

It is possible that this folder does not exist/was deleted or is not accessible (i.e., permissions/access rights issue at the server/hosting-machine level).
If this is indeed the case - please create such a folder and give it a try.

Hope this helps.

June 9th, 2022, 11:01 PM
cits10

Thanks for confirming the directory, i can confirm this folder exists.

I've added Everyone->FullAccess permissions on this folder for testing purposes.

I uploaded a testimage.png file to a KB.

The link in the KB auto-generated as ![](CMTXFILEFOLDERKBAEL83PYIREW2Z9CS3H-testimage.png)
and the image was automatically copied into the XternalDataFiles5 folder as KBAEL83PYIREW2Z9CS3H-testimage.png

In the KB preview however, it still displays the grey square/cross, unable to display the image.

June 10th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Support Team

Thank you for the additional information.

Please let us know whether this problem happens on all workstations or on only some. Please also run the client application directly on the server (via the local drive path unlike the network path, e.g., use C:\RangerMSP\Client...) and see whether it works.

In case it works on the server directly but not from some PCs, please share with us (preferably by email) the network path that is used to run RangerMSP client application and also the log files - you can zip the \Logs folder and email it to us. Thanks.

June 12th, 2022, 08:42 PM
cits10

Same issue when running on the server directly via C:\
I have sent an email to support with logs and the file path.

June 13th, 2022, 06:08 AM
Support Team

Thank you.

After reviewing the log files and the additional information you provided in your email, it seems that there is a glitch and the uploaded images are not displayed because of the underscore character in the installation shared folder, e.g. \\server\_Share\RangerMSP ... , a scenario that is not that common, though naturally should work.

Note that this only happens with the Windows client application, while when using the Web Interface the images are displayed properly.

As a temporary workaround, we suggest removing the underscore in the folder name or changing the share setting the way that the application shortcut path will not include underscore.

As an example, sharing RangerMSP folder directly and having the shortcut look as \\server\RangerMSP\Client\RangerMSP.exe - should solve the issue and the images should be displayed properly.

Please let us know how the above goes and thanks for working with us on this.

June 13th, 2022, 07:26 PM
cits10

Understood thankyou, we’ll see about removing that underscore internally

December 22nd, 2022, 02:11 PM
dyntech

I am having the same problem with images showing in the web console. When I insert the image in the client software and click on preview, it looks great. But in the web console it just shows the "broken link" icon with the alternate text name.

December 23rd, 2022, 06:19 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

The original issue in this thread was related to images added in the Knowledge Base article and was related to the usage of the underscore character in the installation folder path.

Please make sure that you are using the latest current version - 30.0.0.5

If you refer to the images uploaded to the Photo Album, then we recommend checking the folder mapping settings under the Tools > Options > Web Interface Admin tab and verify that the folder where the images are saved is mapped under the 'Allowed folders'.

Hope this helps!