RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

April 4th, 2022, 04:20 AM
ak47uk

At the weekend I set up a new Windows VM and moved my RangerMSP install there using the wiki guide by copying the entire folder across, set the new VM IP to match the original (it has a new hostname though) and I re-ran the client installer.

I am able to run RangerMSP fine and my data is all there, but I have experienced "Error 7010: Problem with Advantage server file read" a couple of times so I have to end task and run again. It seems to appear at random, not when I am looking up anything in particular. I am pretty sure it has happened when left idle.

How do I fix this? There are no blocks showing in Eset firewall.

Thanks

April 4th, 2022, 06:02 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this.

Error 7010 is uncommon and might indicate problems with database tables and therefore you should try rebuilding the indexes using these instructions (Please take a database BACKUP before running the reindex).

However in case the error disappears after restarting RangerMSP, then most probably it is related to possible network disconnects or conflicts.

Sometimes such disconnects are by design, for example to reduce power consumption. However, they still impact the system. This is also why once it occurs things stop working and you need to relaunch RangerMSP client.

Other reasons for such disconnects might be the result of a damaged network cable, a network adapter driver that needs to be updated.

Another common option for such disconnects is using a Wireless network that isn't stable or blocked in some rooms, even for a short while.

After verifying the desktop network configuration, driver update and verify the cable we recommend you have a look at the power management configuration.

For example, if the desktop goes to sleep after X minutes of inactivity then a disconnect might occur (very popular if you leave everything open at the end of the day and get back to work the next day).

Even in cases where the desktop PC does not go to Sleep or Hibernate in many modern OSs the network card power management settings are configured to go to sleep or reduce power on idle. This helps in consuming less power… but might also cause a disconnect from the server (even for a millisecond) that will cause RangerMSP to freeze or pop such messages.

We recommend that you visit all settings mentioned above as well and set your systems to prevent the network adapter from reducing power, even on idle.

Hope this helps.

April 4th, 2022, 09:40 AM
ak47uk

Thanks, I backed up, made a copy of those folders and ran the utility. So far I have not seen the same error again but twice so far RangerMSP has closed without warning or an error and any unsaved entries have been lost. I am able to open Ranger immediately so it doesn't look like an issue such as network or sleeping.

The VM that hosts it is set to not sleep, the network to the host is solid. Do you have any ideas why it shuts down randomly without error? Prior to moving to the new VM this would happen occasionally but not even once a week. I do not leave it open when the computer is not in use. Thanks

April 4th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Support Team

Thanks for the update. An idea that comes to mind is lack of access rights to some users. I recommend that you re-apply access rights settings to the entire RangerMSP folder tree on your server so all users have full access rights to all files and subfolders (The subfolder that might cause this be \DbSys, however, full access is generally required to all files and folders for smooth operation).

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

April 5th, 2022, 02:17 AM
ak47uk

Hi, Error 7010 is back this morning. I set up permissions after I copied the folder across but will try again now. I would expect the issue to be permanent rather than intermittent if it was a perms issue though.

Once I have reset permissions is there anything else you can think of?

Thanks

April 5th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Support Team

Thank you for the update.

Please send us the log files for review, hopefully we will be able to find additional information about this error.

You can zip the \Logs folder and email it to us.

Thanks.

April 6th, 2022, 02:55 AM
ak47uk

Quick update, yesterday I accessed Ranger on the VM rather than over my network and it seemed solid which would indicate a sharing or network issue as you thought. I am using an Azure AD account to authenticate so wasn't able to add my Azure AD user to the sharing permissions, instead I used the "Authenticated Users" group. My Azure AD user does have full perms in the security tab though.

Today I added the "Administrators" group to the sharing permissions as my account is part of this group so will monitor. If I still have problems then I will try using a local account rather than Azure. Thanks

April 6th, 2022, 06:02 AM
Support Team

Interesting! Thank you for this update.

April 7th, 2022, 03:35 AM
ak47uk

Tried using it on my laptop over the network again and the 7010 issues are still happening frequently to the point it is unusable and I have had one product licence error which quit the program.

I can't see this being a permissions issue as that would be permanent and occur every time I accessed the affected tables and I am authenticated on the VM using the same Azure AD account and it works fine on the VM. Doesn't seem to be a corruption issue as it works fine on the VM, so most likely a network issue.

I ran a basic test by having the VM constantly ping my router and Google DNS, then when I experienced the 7010 issue I checked the ping log and there were no lost packets so my connection is remaining up and the VM is not sleeping.

I have zipped the logs and will email your support team, do you have any idea what else it could be or I could try? I put my firewall (Eset Endpoint Security) into interactive mode and accessed RangerMSP over the LAN, there were no connections logged in Eset and I was able to log into Ranger no problem so doesn't seem to be a firewall issue.

The only things that have changed since I had this working on my other VM:
New host is Hyper-V, last host was ESXi
The physical host is a different machine but the same model and spec (HP Microserver Gen8, E3-1265L V2, 16GB RAM)
New VM is Win 10 Pro, old VM was Win Server 2016
New security software is Eset Endpoint Security, old software was Eset File Security and Windows Server firewall

April 7th, 2022, 07:14 AM
Support Team

Thank you for sending the log files and for the detailed information.

We reviewed them and replied to you by email.

In short - the errors that we found in the log files may indicate network disconnects afterall, though this may be a side effect of something with the configuration. Please check our email for more details.

Thanks!

April 11th, 2022, 10:43 AM
ak47uk

Update: I tried several things over the weekend but couldn't fix the issue. I created a new Win 10 Pro VM, I created a local user rather than joining to Azure AD, transferred the files as before. Reinstalled Eset Internet Security, encrypted with Bitlocker and it is all working.

The only differences between the two setups are the original used 21H1 build, the new VM used 21H2. The original VM was Azure AD joined and used my Azure account for authentication of the shares (this was a member of the local Administrators group) whereas the new VM uses a local admin account. I used the VM hostname to install RangerMSP on the original VM (with a static IP set) but I used the IP to install this time.

I am pretty sure I tried installing the original VM client using the IP so this is a confusing one, permission errors should be permanent. I am using the same vSwitch in Hyper-V, same settings and software. Just glad it's working reliably now!

April 11th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Support Team

Great! Thank you for the update and we're really happy to hear that you fixed the issue and things are working well now.