RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

February 14th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Stanley Ng

I'm currently using CommitCRM Web Interface (IIS) and CommitCRM is hosted at our office.
Our office do not have fix-IP, thus we didn't apply the SSL on web-interface.

I would like to seek for advice who are using DDNS and hosted CommitCRM at office.
What is the best option for us to apply a SSL on this? Should we turn back on again the Web Interface services again and open port for 4962?

Thank You
Stan

February 15th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Support Team

SSL should only be used with IIS that provides you with the latest security updates and the latest SSL support. Using other alternatives is not recommended.

February 15th, 2016, 09:12 AM
AN-Tech

When was it announced that SSL should only be used with IIS? It was my understanding that using IIS was optional and not necessarily the recommended method.

February 15th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Support Team

It is not mandatory, however these days, after people have been using the Web interface on top of IIS for about 6-8 months already and we've gathered feedback, we recommend using it when SSL is involved.

Hope this helps.

February 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Stanley Ng

Due to no fixed IP, is there anyone over here changed the IP binding to other ports than port 80 and get it works in Dynamic DNS without any issue? Thanks.

February 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM
PcWizard

Stan,
We have our setup by assigning a ddns address to our router/server location, then we setup a sub-account on our domain( support.yourwebsite.com and point that to our ddns address). Then we changed the the web portal port to 8080. We have been using it that way for the last two years without any issues. Let me know if that help!

February 15th, 2016, 06:49 PM
lpopejoy

Stanley,
Pcwizards process should work perfectly. Setup a CNAME DNS record that points to your ddns record. Set it's ttl to 300 sec and you should be good!

February 16th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Stanley Ng

Thanks PcWizard and Luke.

Previously I am using Web Interface and I've the url of https://support.mydomain.com:4962 and applied the SSL.

After changed to IIS, I use default port 80, whenever I type support.mydomain.com, it will auto redirect to mycompany.no-ip.net.

Thus, am I going to changed the IIS binding to port 8080 and at CNAME DNS point to support.mydomain.com:8080

Will it works?
Thanks.
Stan

February 16th, 2016, 12:17 PM
PcWizard

From commit support, you may need to disable ssl, if I am correct from their answer above.
All should work properly.

February 17th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Stanley Ng

Hi PcWizard,

I do not have SSL enable now because each time I type support.mydomain.com, it will forward to mycompany.ddns.com, so I can't applied SSL on 3rd party domain.

Looks like I have to do the redirection, am I right?

Thank You
Stan

February 17th, 2016, 09:16 AM
AN-Tech

Stanley,

You probably just need to either change the service you are getting from your current ddns provider or change to a different one. When I needed to do this type of thing I used the Plus Managed DNS option from No-IP.com. This allows you to have DDNS service with your own domain name, it wouldn't forward to another domain. Cost is only $32.95/year and includes your domain registration. With that setup you don't have to do anything special when obtaining or applying an SSL cert.

http://www.noip.com/remote-access

February 17th, 2016, 06:42 PM
PcWizard

Stanley,
You need to setup the redirect by login to your registrar/hosting company cpanel for your website. It should be a fairly easy task to do.

February 18th, 2016, 02:04 AM
Stanley Ng

Hi ascendnet,
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I go and purchase managed DNS.

Hi PcWizard,
My DNS currently managed by hosting cpanel and we have quite a lot of records.
We only would like to redirect support.mydomain.com, not sure it is possible to do.

Thanks.

February 18th, 2016, 03:57 AM
PcWizard

Stanley,
Yes, you can redirect just the subdomain support.mydomain.com. You neeed to logon to your cpanel, then go to subdomain section, then find your subdomain support.mycompany.com, then if you look on the same line you should see an option that should be manage redirect that is where you need to add your ddns address for your commit server.

February 18th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Stanley Ng

Hi PcWizard,

This is what I done earlier, everytime it will redirect to my ddns address.
so, the page wouldn't stay on support.mycompany.com all the time.

With ascendnet solution definitely is workable but I seem to have no-ip to manage my company dns.

If I have fix IP, then all my problem is resolve...

February 18th, 2016, 07:24 AM
PcWizard

Stanley,
Try using support.mycompany.com:8800

February 19th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Stanley Ng

Hi PcWizard,

yes, I did changed the IIS port with binding on port 8080.
On the cpanel DNS, I have CNAME "support" to DDNS

So far I can use support.mycompany.com:8080/commitcrm/commitcrm.dll/files/cmtcustlogin.html with manual key-in.

On the Redirects on Cpanel, I do not have and redirection on cpanel yet.

Thank You

February 20th, 2016, 09:10 AM
PcWizard

Stanley,
Until you setup the redirect, you can just bookmark the address.

February 23rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Stanley Ng

Thanks PcWizard,

I done a detail troubleshooting, apparently my windows server having some problem. I fixed it with registry key and all my redirection working flawless.

Thanks for all the helped.
Stanley