RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

July 30th, 2015, 03:44 AM
ak47uk

I would like for the Account #/ID field of each account to be populated automatically with a unique number. Is this possible?

Thanks

July 30th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Support Team

From what we've seen different customers assign different type of IDs (numeric, alphanumber, part of the name, etc.) and therefore the Account# field is a free form field for you to set the ID.

The system does assign each Account a unique ID that can be used, however, this ID is not human friendly as it consists of a somewhat long sequence of alphanumeric characters. You can see it by clicking that 'Record ID' label at the bottom of the Notes tab (You can also right click it and from the menu select Copy to clipboard, etc.).

Hope this helps.

July 31st, 2015, 10:49 PM
nattivillin

I like "not human friendly." How long a string is it?

July 31st, 2015, 11:48 PM
Support Team

Around 20!

August 11th, 2015, 05:59 AM
ak47uk

Thanks for the reply, is there any way that I can have it auto-populated or could this be considered as a new feature? My aim is to use CommitCRM as an all-in-one solution, it would be a shame to have to rely on an external system to generate IDs to then be copied into CommitCRM.

I want to use the auto-generated ID as part of a master password for encrypted password lists, I am currently using the client name but this makes it possible for a third party to compromise the password lists. If I used the CommitCRM ID then only people inside of my organisation would have access to the password lists.

Thanks

August 11th, 2015, 06:20 AM
Support Team

The RECID is set automatically, the Account # is to be managed by yourself. We will take a note about this and consider adding support for it without breaking how it works for existing users.

This with passwords - You should probably use something else because in some, uncommon, cases they might change. For example, if you merge two accounts into one - the dup-account will get deleted while its records (assets, tickets, etc.) will be merged into the master Account - and you will no longer have access to the RECID of the duplicate account as it gets deleted. Therefore, we do not recommend using them for password related/seed stuff.

Hope this helps.