RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

September 8th, 2021, 04:31 PM
daveboulter

Hi,

I have to say I have been impressed with the software so far. We are looking at purchasing and I have a couple of questions:

* We would like to track renewals for domain names, AV subscriptions, O365, Hosting and certificates as well as other software license renewals. How do people do that?

* We use Xero and I am keen to hear other experiences using integration to Xero

* Do you use the inbuilt Database or implement via an SQL server?

Thanks
DaveB

September 9th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this and for your feedback!

Please find our recommendations:

1. Renewals/subscriptions can be managed in RangerMSP using Recurring Charges that are automatically created for each period.
A new Charge will be automatically created each year/month based on the recurring settings.

Note: please make sure that the 'CRM Server' Windows service is installed and running on the server as this service is responsible for creating Recurring Charges.
If the service is not installed, please see the installation instructions here.

There are additional options to handle recurring contracts that cover different services (commonly used for MSP contracts), however, the simplest, and many times the most useful, is to simply create such recurring charges under the customer account.

2. Xero integration is widely used. Detailed information about using the integration can be found here.

3. RangerMSP has its own database (by Sybase) and Microsoft SQL is NOT required.
You can read more about it here.
Using the SQL backend is optional and it can be added at any future time.
When used it (1) makes the system more robust, (2) lets you take live backups (i.e. backups while the system is in use) and to automate the process and (3) to use the Windows client app over RDP session, for example, if RangerMSP application is hosted in a cloud server and is accessed over the remote technology.

Hope this helps.

September 9th, 2021, 06:11 AM
rfbalmer

Hello daveboulter

We track over 27,000 subscriptions using Ranger. We do not use Xero however we use GFIMax/N-Able and have for years. I would strongly recommend using the SQL database engine. We have used that since day one. Been a customer of Ranger since 2006. Our database size with documents is 175 GIG. The application runs like the day it did when it was installed. We do run ours on the Azure cloud platform and RDP into it over our secured network.

It has worked great for us.