RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

April 8th, 2014, 04:57 PM
bigtoneloc

Hi there,

We are interested in hosting CommitCRM on Azure. We only have two users so I was wondering if anyone else has done this. I'm thinking of commissioning two servers in Azure with reserved IPs (using Set-AzureStaticVNetIP). We login to one using RDP accounts (we get two of these RDP admin accounts without Terminal Services) and run CommitCRM client. We then run the SQL engine on the other, no active directory.

I know it's possible to run two copies of CommitCRM via RDP on a single host locally but this is an unsupported setup and I don't want any data corruption.

I'm after the best way to setup RDP CommitCRM with the minimum number of Azure VMs.

Suggestions?

Tony

April 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
natrat

why not run the SQL version and then you only need one server, thats what i do (not on azure but I run a server 2008 instance at acloud provider on which CommitCRM is installed and a couple of users login). Commit are very good in relation to trial versions so you could probably install and trial this before having to pay to upgrade to the SQL version.

April 9th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this and for @natrat's feedbacks.

Many RangerMSP users do have RangerMSP hosted on a cloud server from the vendor they select such as Azure VM. Any Windows based cloud server should do the trick and support running RangerMSP on it although note that the SQL server is required. You would need the SQL back end for this, and as @natrat mentioned with it is safe to use RangerMSP client on the same machine and maybe you would not need to separate the "server" installation machine, from the "client" machine where you RDP to (This will save you one cloud server).

April 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM
bigtoneloc

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need the SQL version. I'll give this a go.

April 28th, 2014, 03:58 PM
bigtoneloc

Just a quick update and thanks to natrat: we ended up moving CommitCRM to a Windows 2012r2 box in Azure. We get monthly credit on Azure with an MS Partner subscription. We have two IT staff logging into this VM via RDP running Outlook 2013 and CommitCRM. On the same box we also run the web engine, the SQL database server, and the CommitCRM email connector. I also installed the latest Reckon 2014 (quickbooks) and it can sync with CommitCRM. It all seems to work fine and no on premise server required and the clients can login and see their tickets.

November 26th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Stanley Ng

@bigtoneloc, can you share with us which plan you chosen at Azure? I am curious and thinking to roll-out as well.

November 26th, 2015, 12:40 PM
bigtoneloc

Stanley,

To be honest I struggled to get it going the way I would like but I'm fairly happy now.
The current setup

My commit server is Standard_A1(1 core, 1.75 GB memory) and is called CSERV.
On that we run the Advantage SQL engine as well as the pop connector (to office 365).
It also runs Commit Web for the clients to log into.
I can run the commit client on there at a pinch. That machine runs all the time and has an internal static ip in azure. That box is 2008R2.

You need to follow their guidelines so that Commit Server starts after SQL.

I have two client machines also, one for my tech which is a Standard_A0 (shared core, 768 MB memory) so he can run Commit Client on it. He can also run Outlook on it but it's a bit slow for that but it works. Its in the same Azure network. That runs 2012r2. I had a problem with it not always finding the commit server on startup. The fix was to edit ads.ini so it could find my server.

[SETTINGS]
MTIER_LOCAL_CONNECTIONS=1
[CSERV]
LAN_IP=10.0.100.4
LAN_PORT=6262

I also have another box for when I do my accounts. It's a Standard_A1(1 core, 1.75 GB memory) with Reckon Accounts and Commit on it. Most of the time it's off as it doesn't cost anything in Azure in this state. I just start it up from my iPhone app, wait 5 mins and then login and do my books and Reckon and Commit can talk to each other.

If you try and do everything on the one box like I initially did you can run into problems with the commit pop connecter stopping at random, leaving you with unread tickets! So don't be afraid to use more than one VM to separate tasks. You can turn them off when you are not using them to save money.

Good luck!
Tony

November 26th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Stanley Ng

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind feedback on implementation detail. Would you mind to leave a copy of your contact...

Thank You
Stanley

November 26th, 2015, 01:48 PM
bigtoneloc

lockenet at gmail