RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

October 12th, 2015, 02:25 PM
awittke

It would be great if a Project contact type could be created that would keep track of the estimate of hours, down payment amount, and overage in billing. We would also want to have the option to bill out the overage at the end of the month or end of the project depending on the circumstances. Currently we are using Block of Money Contracts for keeping track of our project, however there are serious limitations with this.

When we sell a Project we estimate labor based on the project and have the client make a 50% down payment. Right now we put that 50% down payment as a Block of Money. When we go over the 50% payment we get a warning that the contract is used up when in reality that is not the case as we still have the other 50% of the money + overages / changes that has not been billed yet. We then have to go in and clean up the tickets determining which need to be marked as billable and non-billable.

Is there any other way around this or is there a better way of doing this in commit?

October 12th, 2015, 04:36 PM
lpopejoy

...yes, and then you have to be careful those blocks of money don't get auto renewed with the batch contract copy.

Yes, I would like a better way to management projects as well!!

October 12th, 2015, 08:44 PM
northwestmsp

+++

October 13th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Support Team

Thank you all, we will log and review your feedback.

@awittke - It is possible to update the block amount at any time, even after it was used. This way the block will be updated to its actual price.
It can be achieved using the following menu option Contracts > Modify Initial Block Value.

Hope this helps.

October 27th, 2015, 07:57 PM
lpopejoy

Could you tell us if any plans are in place to streamline projects - especially project contracts?

October 28th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Support Team

Yes, improvement in using contracts as projects is on our list.

October 28th, 2015, 06:12 AM
lpopejoy

That's great news! :)

October 28th, 2015, 09:38 PM
thankgod

subscribed

April 6th, 2016, 08:09 PM
awittke

Any updates on creating a Project type contact. This is still a daily pain for us. I would be happy to provide any more details.

April 6th, 2016, 08:29 PM
lpopejoy

Did you see the improvements in v10? It's a great start, IMO!

April 6th, 2016, 08:47 PM
awittke

lpopejoy, the only thing I noted was that they added a "Project Contract" box which will not queue up the contact batch renewal. While this is helpful, it is only a very small part of what is needed. Are there some other features that I am missing from the v10 release?

April 6th, 2016, 08:51 PM
lpopejoy

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood what you were looking looking for!

The "project type" was what I was referring to.

April 6th, 2016, 09:31 PM
awittke

I was just following up on my original post from Oct 2015. I just wish that Commit would add a "Project Contract" to the contact type. It would then ask what the estimate of hours would be as well as what the hourly rate attached to the contact would be, what the down payment is and what the original dollar estimate is. Then it would track all charges against the contact and allowing you to bill for progress, milestone, monthly, weekly, or at the end of the project.

April 7th, 2016, 06:05 AM
Support Team

Thank you for posting this and for sharing your thoughts. We have your request on our list and will update it with your additional input.