RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

January 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
russtebo

Wondering if anyone has a method for creating a new account that includes some pre-fab assets? OR a way to Import a group of assets into an existing account?

Basically, with all our accounts we have a standard set of assets that we track, like Desktops, Servers, Web host, Email host, etc.... For the most part we try and standardize our customer base with what we recommend as far as these assets go, so there is a lot of similar assets. The COPY feature works nicely so that we can keep things standardized between accounts, but when we get a new client I have to copy each asset individually. I tried to export all assets from an existing account to get a base Excel spreadsheet, but it only seemed to want to export the account info. Are there actual Asset Templates? Thanks!!

January 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
lpopejoy

What about using the XML email integration? I think there's a way to email an XML formatted email and have that automatically "do" something... I'll see if I can find the wiki...

I guess the question is how to format that XML. Then you just keep some emails around and email it to support@yourcompany.com, and boom you have all your assets. Maybe? :)

January 26th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Support Team

Hi Guys,

We just wanted to chip in with some more additional information regarding lpopejoy's great suggestion.

The email connector can receive XML formatted plain text emails, and have these emails perform multiple actions in the RangerMSP database, such as creating new assets in the customer account.
  • In addition to the link that lpopejoy supplied, we also have a [urlmp=/wiki/API_Code_Samples]Code Samples[/urmpl] page that includes most of the information needed in order to properly format your email message in order to create an email template.

• The rest of the information that you'll need in order to create your XML is located in API Reference Manual. The specific characteristics of the assets that you're creating with your XML are all available from here, which includes all the field ID's you'll need to use in your XML to insert your data into the right fields.

• Please remember that when you're using the XML to link the new asset to a specified account, you'll need to specify the exact case-sensitive account in your XML. Since using this method would need to be constantly updated to reflect the specific account you're creating the assets for, we suggest creating your XML templates in RangerMSP, using the Document Templates. This method will allow you to create your XML templates merged with RangerMSP database information. This means that you'll be able to create your XML templates with dynamic account information, so that all you need to do is apply the RangerMSP template to an account, to have a specific XML template created that creates a specific asset for the account you've applied the template to. All that's left now is to email the template to your RangerMSP server, so that the system will create the asset you're creating with your template.

This method will effectively eliminate the chances of mistyping your account's name, as well as guarantee the easiest and quickest manner of asset creation for the customers that you monitor standardized equipment for.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,
Neta