RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

April 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
nicklloyd

I've recently switched to Win7 64bit and I'm finding CommitCRM a bit unstable. The app seems to stop responding once or twice a day and I have to kill the process in task manager. I have noticed similar behaviour when running the app on the 64bit server it's installed on.

Once I have killed the process and I try the program again, I often have to kill it for a second time before running it again at which point I get to the login screen.

Any known issues with 64bit OSs?

Cheers,

Nick

April 23rd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Support Team

Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting this. The system fully supports use on the newer operating systems in 32 and 64 bit environments; this includes MS Windows 7 64 bit.

Errors like this are usually caused by power settings on the RangerMSP server shutting down hardware on the server when it’s idle. Please make sure that the server is set to always on, and that the NIC cannot be put to sleep by Windows (set in the device manager). More information on random crashes can be found here.

If this information does not solve the issue, please email us the log files from your RangerMSP system. The log files can be found in Help > Technical Support.

Once we have the logs, we’ll analyze them to ascertain the cause for this behavior.

Let us know how this goes.

Regards,
Lika

April 26th, 2010, 01:34 AM
nicklloyd

The server is a mail server amongst other things, so I'd be surprised if it was shutting the NIC down. However, the option was checked in Device Manager so I have now removed that and will see how we get on.

Nick

April 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Support Team

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update.
Let us know if that helps.

Regards,
Lika

May 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM
russtebo

I've had the power management settings in Windows Vista/7 cause problems in a couple different software programs, particularly ones tied to a database server (Timeslips, Quickbooks and most Tax software). This is not limited to just 64-bit OS's. Make sure you check all the power management settings as well as the "Allow system to power down" option in device manager.

Curious to see if this fixed your issue Nick?

April 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
mcbsys

I've also been having trouble since switching to 64-bit Win7. I'm using CommitCRM 5.2.0.3. Worked fine with XP for over a year, so it's not a server or general network issue.

Things I've tried:

- Disable power saving/Green Ethernet settinngs on the Win7 NIC.
- Downgrade the NIC driver from the WHQL driver installed by Windows Update to the most recent driver approved by the hardware vendor (Lenovo). This re-enabled power saving.
- Disable IPv6 on the client.

I am still seeing the random crashes. Sometimes it's when I am actively using the computer, and always if I leave CommitCRM running overnight.

I will try disabling power saving again.

I'm also seeing issues with another legacy database application, GoldMine 6.5. However that is dBASE and not supported under 64-bit Win7, whereas CommitCRM is supposed to work.

Here is a typical error from the Application log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 4/20/2011 8:30:50 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Win7PC.mydomain.local
Description:
The program CommitCRM.exe version 5.2.0.3 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 568
Start Time: 01cbff7396f55678
Termination Time: 127
Application Path: \\Server01\Apps\CommitCRM\Client\CommitCRM.exe
Report Id: bb3a8806-6bc7-11e0-8ab0-60eb69ebcf6a

I have some screen shots of error messages. I would be interested to know whether they provide any insight into the issue. The recurring theme is exception 0xC00000006. I will send the screen shots to support via email.

Mark Berry
MCB Systems

April 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Support Team

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting this and for sending the screenshots.

As you've already mentioned, the error code C0000006. When such errors are displayed it is usually related to a configuration on your network (not necessarily bad ones).

I understand that you've checked this already, however, we believe that some configuration is still missing, somewhere, especially when you say that it happens after you leave the application open over night.

This error means that a disconnect from the server has occurred. In most cases such disconnects are on purpose, for example to reduce power. However, they still impact the system. Even if you disabled power savings on you network card still when Windows 7 moves to Sleep mode such disconnects might occur.

Other reasons for such disconnects might be the result of a damaged network cable, a network adapter driver that needs to be updated. I understand that you've already checked this so a power management missing configuration is most likely what is causing the errors (which are typical for Windows 7 power management options). For example, if the desktop goes to sleep after X minutes of inactivity then a disconnect might occur.

I hope this helps.
Sheli

April 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
mcbsys

Sheli,

Thanks for your reply. In Control Panel > Power Options, I have chosen the "Maximum Performance" plan, which includes "Put the computer to sleep: Never".

I also chose the network cable that was being used by the XP workstation in the past.

I agree that there must be a network connectivity issue. I just can't figure out where it is!

Mark Berry
MCB Systems

April 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
Support Team

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried this with other PCs? Same results?

Thanks,
Sheli

April 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
AN-Tech

Mark,

I would also be sure to adjust the power management settings on network adapter driver. There should be a power management tab on the driver properties window. Do this on the workstation and server.

May 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
raymond

nicklloyd, I worked on trying to get this stable for about a year and finally gave up. The way CommitCRM works with opening a bazillion files makes it super sensative to networking blips. All the tweaks and fixes helped some but didn't make the problem go away. We switched to the SQL version 2 weeks ago and I haven't had a crash/lockup yet... I hate getting nickel and dimed (having to pay for an additional add-on just to make the product stable) but a couple 2 - 3 hundred bucks is worth a couple of troubleshooting hours... indeed!

cheers --

//ray

May 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM
infinnet

Hi Everyone,

I have read this thread with interest, unfortunately have nothing to add, as I have been down the track and done all that you have as well to no avail. It is only my Win 7 Pro 64bit PC that has the problem, exactly as described by youselves. I have 4 other XP Pro 32 bit PC's using the system without an issue. I had some network issues that were fixed by replacing the patch lead to the NIC and also re terminating the cable to the back of the Network outlet on the wall. I now have 1Gb connection, which has helped the search functions, but I still get lockups, slow to access Quick Books, some mornings having to restart the login twice before you can login. The CommitCRM Server is on a SBS 2008 64 bit. Is the answer to install the SQL Version?

May 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM
northwestmsp

To those having issues with Commit's network stability

If you haven't already check into the following Hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028965

This has fixed multiple issues with file based database systems like the one CommitCRM (non-SQL version) uses. Basically it fixes a known bug between Windows Vista/7/2008/2008 R2 which closes network files on the SMB2 system prematurely. It must be applied to both client/server. This hotfix is a part of Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2, so if you haven't yet apply SP1. If you're in a mixed environment then you must apply the hotfix to Server 2008/Vista machines and upgrade to SP1 on the Win7/2008 R2 machines.

On the same note, I was wondering from CommitCRM support staff: are there any known bugs/performance issues with IPv6? This is enabled by default on Vista/2008 and 7/2008R2. We have had some issues with other databases running on machines with IPv6 enabled and I was wondering if we would see any improvements disabling IPv6.

May 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Support Team

Thank you for the information exbabylon. It seems that this may definitely help some users. In regards to your question - the client/server SQL engine currently uses IPv4. IPv6 should not have any affect on performance as long as it is related to RangerMSP. We do know that many decide to turn it off for a lot of other reasons. In any case we do not have any recommendation here as it does not have direct affect.

Thanks,
Dina