RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

October 30th, 2015, 01:09 PM
jakogut

I'm working on some code that uses Commit's low level API to automatically detect PC information, and add it as an asset, then link that asset to a given ticket.

It currently pulls the machine's unique UUID from the DMI table, and uses that as the asset code.

In attempting to handle the situation where a machine is brought in by a different person, and consequently gets entered under a different account (for example, a customer sells their machine that was previously brought in for service to another customer, or one customer brings in their friend's machine), I've found that assets that are linked to tickets already cannot be moved to other accounts, and a new asset cannot be created with the same asset code. I've also found that the asset code cannot be reused even if the old asset is marked inactive.

This situation is far from impossible, it happens often enough to be a concern worth addressing. How would you recommend a situation like this be handled in regards to asset creation inside of Commit?

Thanks for your time.

October 30th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Support Team

Once way would be not to use Asset Codes at all (it is allowed) or you can randomize it, but in any case - store the IDs of your devices in another Asset field in RangerMSP. Then, when adding a new Asset run a search against this field instead of the main asset code field. This would gives you most flexibility, but of course may introduce other downsides. Key is not to use hardware IDs for the main Asset CODE key field.

Hope this helps.