Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

Hello All,

Can CommitCRM run via VPN? I would like to access it remotely, but don't particularly care for the web access version. Thanks!

Re: Can RangerMSP be run via VPN?

Hello Michael,

The best way to use RangerMSP over VPN is to remote desktop your office PC after establishing a VPN connection.

Dina

Comment

Re: Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

Interesting, you say to "remote desktop" but by what method do you recommend remoting? If you attempt to run CommitCRM via Terminal Services (RDP in Windows XP) and do not have the SQL solution deployed CommitCRM will not run.

I never did get around to testing PcAnywhere or GoToMyPc so those may work.

To the question my experience has been that a straight vpn connection is too slow and CommitCRM will time out before it manages to fully launch.

We purchased the SQL version and use CommitCRM remotely through a Citrix / Terminal server.

Comment

You can run the RangerMSP client remotely using various remote control technologies which take control over a remote PC (desktop), whether it's GotoMyPC, PC-Anywhere or built-in tools including the XP ones. However, these are all used to take full control over a client PC and while you remote control it no one else can use it (and it's power should be ON all the time).

On the other hand, server based remote control sessions (such as Terminal Services and Citrix) have several advantages over remote controlling a client PC: client PC's can be turned OFF (as your session runs on the server), you do not interrupt anyone while being connected, you work on the server itself which is usually faster etc. Note that you should obtain a license for SQL Database in order to use RangerMSP client with server based sessions.

BTW, though optional, SQL Database has various advantages for larger networks. You can read more about it here.

Doron

Comment

It runs on a VPN, but poorly. You need to have much bandwidth to do so. We use it that way because the web client is a poor substitute for really working withCommitCRM. The only acceptable alternative is to run with a Terminal Server or equivalent setup.

Comment

We have tested with a VPN as well and find it to be too slow as well.

Does anyone know if this latency is solely a bandwidth issue or if there may be some needed tweaking in the HOSTS file or if the above mention of the SQL version of CommitCRM would improve this situation?

We also find the web client to be too limiting remote and would love to see a .NET version that could keep a local cache of the DB found on the server so we can have the full GUI interface on our laptops while in the field and not be limited by the web interface.

Comment

Hi FunctionOne - as mentioned, working with RangerMSP remotely requires remote technology solutions in order to achieve the best performance results. When using server-based remote technologies, such as Terminal Services and Citrix (as opposed to remote technology which takes over one of your office PCs when connected), this requires the server-based SQL Database component, as mentioned above.

Thanks for the feedback regarding a standalone client. At the moment, you may consider both working with the web interface and working with the client application remotely. Regarding the web interface, as you may know, we have recently released version 4.4 which includes many enhancements to the web interface, making it much more flexible and easy to use. It also includes many new options (such as creating new charges out of appointments, etc.). In our coming release (version 4.5), we've added some additional capabilities, and I believe the web interface is definitely a great working tool when out of the office.

Sherry

Comment

Any plans to adapt the web interface to a version that works on mobile devices (pda phones)

Comment

Yes, We are currently working on optimizing the Web Interface and making it even more suitable to PDAs in one of our next releases.

At the moment you can usually use the Web interface from PDA's with Internet access which have the Opera web browser installed (available for download on Opera's web site, make sure you test it with your PDA). You may also be able to work with other browsers which are native to your PDA - you should simply try it out and see how it works for you. Working via your PDA allows you to remotely connect to the database and perform all the actions which are supported by the Web Interface - add and update Tickets and charges, view and update Account information, Appointments, Tasks, add and update Charges and Assets records and more.

Neta

Comment

how much does it cost to setup SQL Database for CommitCRM? i don't like the idea of using remote desktop, then from there open commit, it's annoying especially when i want to update just a ticket or something. VPN is useless. Web interface, well it's like technology which is years older than the windows version.

Comment

Hi asmbit - the SQL is indeed the best solution in case you wish to work remotely using terminal services. The pricing varies between users depending on your needs - please contact us directly and we will be able to provide more accurate information.

BTW, I believe you haven't used the web interface for employees recently (you probably remember it from the past). Though not as feature rich as the installed client, the web interface currently provides a very good solution for working remotely using a web browser (so you don't face any VPN issues and such).
                      Using the Web interface it is very easy to add/update service tickets, charges, appointments, tasks, assets, accounts, opportunities, items etc... And, it is getting more robust with each release. I encourage you to install a trial for the employees web interface and see how it works for you. You can contact us directly for more details on how to enable it.

Ethan

Comment

Are there any plans to modify the web interface calandar to be a proper calandar rather than a list based view which is impossible to glance at a day/week/month to see availability.

Comment

Hi,

I checked and this feature request is indeed in our development queue. I apologize in advance but beyond that I do not have any information regarding this feature.

Sherry

Comment

we setup a couple of virtual pc's on one of our servers and have our field employees remote into those vpc's via log me in. Works like a champ.

Comment

I also have used Log Me In successfully

Comment

Working...
                              X