No announcement yet.

What do you sell for Backup software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Re: What do you sell for Backup software

Carbonite works great but if you have DB's you will want to use Dr Backup.

Comment

BDR solution from Zenith Infotech is great for Disaster recovery. It is scalable and very quick/easy to restore.

Comment

Symform cloud backup is a very interesting concept and works well for a lot of clients. It allows you to backup a lot of data for cheap!

Brad Kendall
        www.bradkendall.ca
        bkendall@ccrtech.ca

Comment

Hi,

we use Shadowprotect as a backup solution for servers and workstations/laptops too.
          As with others we allways suggest adding a second backup HD into the machine and then use a robocopy script to transfer this to an external HD either as a post backup command or run manually by the user when they connect the ext. hdd.

I am also looking at how to include some form of online backup with SP incrementals - not sure of the best way of doing it that makes it cost effective for smaller customers yet thought.

We also use the IT edition in house to image every machine we touch.
          For both uses I highly recommend it.

cforger - have a look at the Granular Recovery for Exchange feature now available for SP, not cheap but does what you were looking for.

Rgds
          Rob

Comment

Shadow Protect also has an MSP model. You can sell the software on a subscription basis. This lowers the entry cost for your clients as well as creates another source of recurring revenue. More info here: http://storagecraft.com/msp_partner.php

Brad Kendall
            www.bradkendall.ca
            bkendall@ccrtech.ca

Comment

I encourage my users to get Acronis true image plus as it allows an image to be copied to a new computer with different hardware incase of a mainboard failure or upgrade in the future. have tested it personaly and transfered a netbook OS to a standalone desktop with success just had to remove a few apps that where for the netbook.

Comment

@bkendall - I agree that Symform's technology is nothing short of brilliant, I do have one word of warning regarding the company itself however. They appear to think that they are selling a software license (such as Labtech) and not a month-to-month service (such as GFI Max / Zenith).

Case in point - no one likes to think they will ever loose a client but let's just take a look at an example. Let's say you signed a new client that wanted desktop cloud backup for their fleet of 20 laptops. You get 20 Symform desktop licenses and deploy them. Later on the relationship goes sour and you loose the client. You're now sitting on 20 desktop licenses of Symform that you're paying monthly for that you don't have any need for.

Can you re-deploy them to another client? Sure - of course... but what if you don't have any place to redeploy them to for the time being? Doesn't matter - you're going to be paying the monthly fee for that node each and every month regardless on if it's deployed for that month or not.

I found this out the hard way - you can add additional nodes to your Symform account at any time, but you can NEVER reduce the amount of nodes. You will may monthly for each and every one of those nodes for the rest of eternity - used or not.

Since you can't cancel individual nodes your only other choice is to cancel your Symform relationship in it's entirety and stop using heir service all together - which is what we were unfortunately forced to do.

It sucks too - I loved the tech.

Comment

The Terrabyte stuff looks good. Has anyone used this in a server environment, if so, has anyone restored and how did they get on?

Looking for a new imaging tool. I've always used Acronis or TrueImage. I'm over TrueImages pricing...

Comment

@swallservices - I did not know that. Seems like a pretty poor way to run a service. Thanks for the heads up! I have been very happy with Nine Technology. They may be worth checking out, great company.

Brad Kendall
                    www.bradkendall.ca
                    brad@bradkendall.ca

Comment

Yeah hopefully Symform will get past these "growing pains" and come out of the process a better company on the other side.

Comment

Update

I have now transfered over 5 PC systems from older P4 / Amd to Duel core / i processors using acronis 2011 not tried the 2012 suite yet but I am definatly 100% pleased with acronis true image and plus pack, I encourage all my clients to use it. It will also import a windows 7 image backup file.

Comment

Have a serious look at CrashPlan PROe from Code 42 (www.crashplan.com) if you are looking for data backup (i.e. don't need software which is application aware, such as for databases and Exchange, or BMR (bare metal restore)).

They have a new version coming out next year which will have the features that are currently in the consumer versions, such as mobile device access and backup sets (different files backing up to different locations with different frequencies and retention settings).

It is lightweight (engineered for laptops), auto-updating, encrypts and compresses, has great management tools and can handles hundreds of thousands of clients.

Clients can either run it on their own private cloud, our you could set this up as a service and sell it to them on a monthly basis.

Comment

Working...
                          X