No announcement yet.

Unforgiving Tasks Done Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Unforgiving Tasks Done Button

I have just been experimenting with Tasks and was finding on occasion when editing a task that I was accidentally clicking on Done when I intended to just click on OK. Intuitively I must think an OK should be in that position but that is not my concern… I just will have to get used to that.

My issue is that when making that error the Task is seemingly gone other than a History record if one chooses to create one. There is no “Are you sure?” prompt and no way to resurrect the task other than recreating it from scratch.

I guess I am comparing it to Outlook where if I accidentally set a Task to be Completed I can just view completed tasks and correct the status accordingly.

Is there some way to get a more forgiving Done status on Tasks or would this be a feature request?

Thanks,

Howard

Re: Unforgiving Tasks Done Button

Hi Howard,

Thanks for posting this.
    I've forwarded this feedback to the product manager with some suggestions on how to make the meaning of the Done button stand out more. I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

For now, we suggest to:
    * Create history notes when marking a task done in RangerMSP. - This will serve as a task record which will be available to you after completion of the task and ticket
    * If a task that has been synced to MS Outlook has been deleted or marked as done in RangerMSP, you can restore the task from the deleted items folder to the Tasks folder in MS Outlook, and from there will be recreated in RangerMSP upon synchronization (Requires synchronizing in Rebuild Mode).

Hope this helps.

Reno Breen

Comment

I totally agree with Howard her. We are new to CommitCRM and one of the commonly errors is that we push th Done button ant the Task is gone. We don't use the Outlook task sync, meaning we have no way to restore the task. What about a Completed task view just as we have the Pending tasks view?

Comment

I also when editing a task I found that I was accidentally clicking on Done when I intended to just click on OK.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great comments regarding this feature. I've copied all comments in this thread to the feature update request, and forwarded the file to the product management team.

We'll do our best to have this addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the great feedback.
          Reno Breen

Comment

Looks like nothing has happened regarding this issue in over a year. We are just starting to use the Tasks feature and have the same problem... it's really easy to click DONE instead of OK and delete (forever) the task. Even with the confirmation window that appears after clicking DONE, it's easy to make this mistake. Feature recommendation: Keep this in the database even after marked as DONE with a status of DONE that can be filtered out of viewed tasks and that can "unchecked" as DONE or permanently deleted with a separate action.

Comment

Noted. Thanks.

Comment

Funny, i did this a couple days ago myself. It does seem like that DONE button is where the OK button would intuitively be.

Comment

Also did it again a few days ago. It needs to be renamed and have a way to cancel out of it.

Comment

Here's some more on this, it's really not hard to put a MessageBox("Are you sure you want to mark this task as done" )

This is from one of the guys that works for me

I agree that breaking up a ticket into small tasks is a good idea for larger jobs.

I had a problem with the tasks I was assigned. I opened them up to look at them, and I wanted to get back out because the job hadn’t been done yet, but I think I clicked “Done” and got a warning or confirmation dialog. I think I clicked Cancel because I didn’t want to change the status. Somehow I wasn’t able to “back out” of the task successfully, and now it is gone from the Pending list. I haven’t been able to find where it has gone in the system?

However, I was trying to figure out what I clicked wrong and I may have selected one of Nick’s tasks and somehow set it to “Done”. So If the “Done” tasks are still somewhere in the system, that would be great, otherwise it may be difficult to keep track of a project, if you ever want to go back and read the notes on a Done task.

As you can see, it's not intuitive AT ALL.

I will forward him back this post link and this
                    Create history notes when marking a task done in CommitCRM. - This will serve as a task record which will be available to you after completion of the task and ticket

But I have to say, to not even have a message box or a history note, amazes me. It has to make me wonder how many users are actually usinmg tasks ...

Comment

Thank you for the feedback, comments noted.

One thing I can think of is that you can control whether On-Task-Done an History record will pop automatically with the Task details or whether you will be prompt asking you whether you want to add an History note for the Done Task.
                      In the scenario you specified you should probably change the system to always automatically open/add an History about the Done task. Then if if you Done by accident, you still have a complete log/details of the task.

This setting can be configured under the Tools > Options > Calendar tab. On the bottom right area you'll find a drop down saying "On Done:" and you can select the action you want to be taken (None / New History note / Suggest).

Hope this helps.

Comment

This really needs to be taken into consideration for a change. While we can set the option for history note, 1) that has to be done on each individual PC, 2) that still leaves no "undo" option - by the time you see it, the task is "done", 3) If the user doesn't save the note, it is gone, 4) since the setting can't be controlled system-wide, if a user doesn't have it set, or inadvertently changes it...

Please make this a priority for consideration. Offer either:
                        a) a message with a cancel option
                        b) a way to view completed tasks and update the status to "not done"
                        c) make completing the task a little less ambiguous with "OK"

Comment

Thank you. All will be reviewed and considered.

Comment

+1 for us on the Unforgiving Tasks Done Button issue.

When a user opens a pending task and clicks DONE, the app automatically launches a new history note and removes the pending task.

If the user doesn't save the history note, all of the task data is permanently lost.

We are not use the pending task feature at all due to this loophole.

Please consider implementing logic within the app to prevent the data from being deleted when the user cancels the subsequent history note.

Thank you once again for always considering our input!

Comment

Thank you for the additional input and for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X