RangerMSP Business Automation for successful ITs

Go Back   RangerMSP Forums > RangerMSP Software Discussion Forum (CCRM)

December 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
AN-Tech

I recently got a new system with Windows 7 on it. Now the Open Source Email option on a ticket does not work. I'm sure this has to do with Windows 7 not having Outlook Express included. Is there a way to get the emails to open inside of Outlook 2007?

Thanks

December 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Support Team

Hi,

Thanks for posting in this question.
I’ve heard that Microsoft had to pull some of their default software from the Windows 7 installation. I read that in Europe, MS Windows 7 will be shipped without Internet Explorer… So I guess that they had to take out the mailing software from the default in some countries too…
However, as you already stated, the EML format is only readable by MS Outlook Express and Windows Mail (and maybe some other apps). RangerMSP Email Connector cannot create the MSG format because it is a proprietary format used only in MS Outlook, and we are not allowed to use it in RangerMSP. So, our best bet is to teach your MS Windows 7 machines how to read the universal/free EML format.

To Download/Install Windows Mail in MS Windows 7:

* Download and run this file. (From Microsoft Downloads)
* In the installer, make sure only Mail is the only program selected.
* Once installation is complete, run Windows mail once so the system knows to associate the EML format to the program.

Once this is done, Windows Mail will be ready to open EML files in Windows 7.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Reno Breen

December 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
AN-Tech

Am I correct in assuming that the changes coming to labtech in regards to email will do away with these eml files?

December 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
AN-Tech

I never liked that that I had to use Outlook Express on my system just for emails sent toCommitCRM. And I really like the thought of installing Windows Mail just for CommitCRM so I found a better way. Apparently both Outlook 2003 and 2007 can be setup to open .eml files without issue. You just need to make a few registry changes. Below is a link to instructions on how to do this. They already made the .reg files to import and it works perfectly.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/354

I would highly suggest adding a Sticky for this one. I'm sure there are alot of people that would prefer to use Outlook to read the attachments instead of Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

December 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Support Team

Hi,

Thanks for posting this.
Once we've completed testing this, we'll gladly add this to our knowledge base as an article.
Thanks for sending this in... :-)

Reno Breen

December 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
AN-Tech

Might want to at least sticky it for a little while. I'm sure there are alot of us here who have just accepted that that we had to use Outlook Express or Windows Mail to open them and would never go searching the knowledge base after using it this way for years.

December 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Support Team

Good point. This trick will indeed provide great value for lots of users, and we will stick the forum thread and will make sure to spread the word amongst our users in additional ways, once we test it.

Thanks again for this great and exciting information!

Reno Breen

December 9th, 2009, 01:51 PM
AN-Tech

I was just glad to be able to cross this off my list of complaints. I wish I would have know about it earlier :-)

December 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
lpopejoy

Of course, once the email threading we've all been dreaming of is implemented, we won't have to worry about these pesky eml files all over the place (hopefully!!!).

December 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Support Team

Hello Community,

The above mentioned post has been tested, and it looks like this can be used to load EML files in Outlook 2003-2007, on 32 & 64 bit architectures.

Here's the link posted by Ascendnet, thanks for the great tip!

Best regards,
Reno Breen