PDA

View Full Version : Billable charges for a block of money contract

lpopejoy
April 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I often have billable charges for a "block of money" contract. For instance, parts or software licensing are not included in those contracts. In that scenario, shouldn't I be able to mark the charge as "billable" in the charge form, and NOT have it subtract from the value of the block of money?

Currently, if I create a billable charge on a block of money contract, it reduces the value of the money available. That doesn't seem to be the logical way for that to work.

Thanks,

Luke Popejoy

Support Team
April 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
lpopejoy,

Block of Money contracts are there to cover products, parts or services you perform - where each Charge record logged against them affect the block.

If you want to bill/charge your client for products or services which are not covered by a Block of Money Contract, log these charges against the Account directly (use the Account' default contract) or any other contract you have defined for this account.

I hope this makes sense.

Neta

lpopejoy
April 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
What I have been doing is using the "System" contract for charged items. However, I guess I do not understand what function the "billable" check box is supposed to serve. The very fact that you are using a "block of money" contract would indicate to me that somehow the client has already paid for that block of money. If marking that charge as "billable" deducts from the block of money AND bills the client for the charge, then wouldn't that result in a double billing?

Again, I understand the work around, but I don't understand the functional purpose of the "billable" check if it deducts from the block of money and bills the charge anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Luke Popejoy

Support Team
April 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hi Luke,

Thank for your additional input. I'll try to better explain this - the idea of the block of money contract is that any charge added to this contract is covered by the contract. The option of setting the charge as "billable" is there in order to handle charges which exceed the block limit. In this case you can choose to set the charge as billable and it will still affect the block balance, showing you the overage, so you can track whether this contract works well for you.

In case you wish to enter charges which are not covered by the contract by-definition, then you shouldn't add them under the contract, but rather under the global contract, as mentioned. This is actually not a workaround, I believe it's the correct way to go about it.

I hope this helps to make it clearer,

Neta

lpopejoy
April 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Ok, I see your point. It does seem like there needs to be a better way to handle billable charges under the contract rather than changing the contract. The reason I say that is because it is easy to forget to change the contract (I've forgotten several times) and then the item doesn't get billed - when it should.

Software like this is all about recovering billable dollars, and this is one place I've seen where it is easy to lose billable dollars really fast.

Anyway, thanks for thinking about it!