PDA

View Full Version : Items Management

g2computersolutions
April 16th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Is there a way in CommitCRM to allow for entering more information about products listed in the ITEMS area of the application?

We would like to especially like to enter both the manufacture product ID as well as our assigned ID for the same product as we don't alway differentiate with our clients any difference.

For instance, if we want to sell a keyboard, we would like to have various keyboards that fit our standard of 'keyboard' use the same CommitCRM even though they have different manufactures.

Let's say we use Dell and Microsoft keyboards. We want to be able to list a "keyboard' on their product listing without regard to who the manufacture is.

Support Team
April 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I get what you're saying and adding more information for items is a good idea, and one that is on our list, although I'm not sure when this will be addressed.

Perhaps for now, you can use the item code for this purpose. If you define two different item codes, one for the Dell and one for the Microsoft keyboard, this will help you select the correct keyboard from the items list. However, you can have the same description for the items, saying just "keyboard' which will then appear as the charge description, which is what the customer will see on the invoice. I believe this should do the trick.

Ethan

g2computersolutions
April 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
The big challenge in this area is that there seems to be very little in the way of managing products/pricelist within the tool. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of options with regards to providing discounts and the like one stuff is in there, but there isn't much in the way of actually managing products.

I would like to enter an item into inventory and be able to fill it from various vendors without regard for what their SKU is. As in the example of the keyboards, let's say that the MS SKU is 1234 and the Dell SKU is 5678. I may actually purchase the same Logitech Keyboard from both vendors and use my CommitCRM SKU of 9012 in the tool. How would I be able to manage the fact that this part is received/stocked from two different vendors?

Support Team
April 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
There's probably no easy way to handle this in any system, and RangerMSP doesn't have advanced inventory features (Items are there for billing purposes). Anyway, you should consider using the Item' Notes field to store such information. This field is a memo field (i.e. you can enter free texts there).

For example you can define this Item:
==
Code: Keyboard (9012)

Name: Keyboard

Description: High Quality PC Keyboard

Notes:
This item can be purchased from both Microsoft and Dell.
Microsoft's SKU: 1234
Dell's SKU: 5678
==

Ethan

g2computersolutions
April 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
This still does not address anything related to the ability to COST the items. I understand what you're saying with regard to describing the vendor part, but it doesn't help in that I may be paying $45 for the product through Microsoft and $55 through Dell.

Support Team
April 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Ok, if you need a different price for each of these items then these are basically separate items and should be managed as separate items. You should probably manage a few Keyboard items, give them all the same name ("Keyboard") and each will have the relevant code according to the vendor. Then you can define the separate price for each.

One thought though - In case you do not need to actually analyze the price you charge customers against your costs (this is possible when the Cost field is used) then you may simply write this type of info as part of the Notes fields: MS Keyboard ($45), Dell Keyboard ($40) etc. You can then adjust the price in the charge itself according to the exact item being sold.

Ethan