PDA

View Full Version : How can I prevent my private data from being synchronized with RangerMSP?

Product FAQ
November 14th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Is there any risk involved in synchronizing private data, such as Appointments, Contacts, or Tasks?

Support Team
November 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Appointments and Tasks which are defined as private in Outlook will retain their private definition in RangerMSP, and vice versa.

However, RangerMSP does not allow Contacts to be defined as private. Therefore, private contacts that are synchronized from Outlook with RangerMSP will become available for all users inRangerMSP.

You can select not to sync Outlook private contacts withRangerMSP.

robzen
February 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
We have cca 1200 contacts in Outlook, in our public folder, for everybody's use. But we do not want to sync all of them as CommitCRM accounts, because they are not of CommitCRM interest. We need aprox 300 contacts. Can we use connection between existing CommitCRM accounts and Outlook contacts BEFORE importing all contacts? I am afraid to syncronize Contacts, because, later, I'll have to delete 1000 of them.

Support Team
February 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM
You should either set the contacts you don't want to sync into RangerMSP as private or you should create a new Outlook folder, move the records you want to sync with RangerMSP to there and in RangerMSP select to sync with this newly created folder (or transfer the ones you don't want to sync to the newly created folder and have RangerMSP sync with the main one).

Dina

robzen
February 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hm. Then I'll have two Outlook folders to look when we need some address, or phone. That Outlook is on server, asCommitCRM. Being small firm, we do not have Exchange, we use Easy2Sync for our notebooks. With two folders we would face major problems. I suggest you to think about implementing the features: selection of contacts before first importing (check boxes), and establishing the link between Outlook contact andCommitCRM.

There is another problem - in Outlook, and seems to me, all US originated SW, Contacts (Name and Surname) are before Company (Account). We work with Companies (small, big, with/without branch officies and parent companies...) Persons are NOT important. They get hired or fired, they change, at least every two-three years, even from one to another of our Accounts. Companies, in contrary, remain as our partners, our clients - our Accounts. But when we need to insert something from Outlook then Contacts become Accounts, even if there are many Contacts that belong to the very same Company, and even we set "File As" to Company not to Name, in our Outlook view. In some specific situations, that happens in Outlook itself, too.

Again, I think it would be better that we have choice of setting correlation between Outlook and CommitCRM fields (Company=Accounts, Surname=Contact.....) and choosing from list which specific Contact from Outlook would be imported into CommitCRM as Account, new or linked to existing Account.

Support Team
February 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM
We'll look into this. Thank you.

As for secondary contacts, note that you can manage weather when importing contacts from Outlook, an Account in RangerMSP is created for each. However, if you add secondary contacts in RangerMSP (using the Contacts tab of the Account), then these secondary contacts will also sync to Outlook – in Outlook there will be standard contact records and in RangerMSP they will be secondary contacts.
In other words, I think that in this case it may be a good practice to add Account's Contacts first in RangerMSP and then sync them with Outlook, all the Contacts will be grouped under the Account in RangerMSP and won't act as a "standalone" Account, while in Outlook they will be standard contacts (like all other contacts in Outlook).

Dina