PDA

View Full Version : Specify a different folder or subfolder for Opportunities docs?

acrosser
March 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
All of our customers have their own Client Network Folder on our main file server (P:\Client Network Info\CustName). We have set their Docs Dir in the Accounts--Details tab to be this folder. This folder contains Excel spreadsheets with their network info, software license files, files containing usernames and passwords, etc. (Basically, important information related to the account).

When we create an Opportunity for an Account, and start dragging & dropping emails into the Docs tab of the Opportunity (which is the Commit-recommended procedure, as far as I know), the email .msg files go into the Docs Dir for the linked Account.

After dragging and dropping many emails for several different Opportunities over time, this is cluttering up the Client Network Info folder, making it hard to find the important information.

Is there any way to specify some other folder (maybe a subfolder, called Msgs or OppDocs, inside the Docs Dir) where these Opportunity Docs can go?

If not, I would like to request this as a feature. Thanks.

Support Team
March 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi,

Just like you mentioned eac Account has a default documents folder. Any new document you create for the account will be stored in this folder. The system doesn't create other sub-folders for you as when using RangerMSP client you normally don't need to browse the folder structure and files - you manage your documents under the sales opportunities, tickets, assets, accounts, contracts etc. For each you see only the relevant document (even in case behind the scenes they are stored in a single folder for each account).

In case you need to store documents for the account in other folder - you can do it!
What you need to do is save the document in any folder you like, drag it into RangerMSP - now - a new document window open and there are two options - "Copy File" and "Link to File" (this is a drop down list of options).
The default is copy file, this means that the file will be copied to the account folder. However, if you select the "Link to File" option, then the file will remain in its original folder. It will be filed in RangerMSP like any other file and you'll be able to see it under the tickets, opportunities etc. Double clicking it in RangerMSP will also open the document file itself from the original location - this all means that you can store the account/opportunites files in any folder you like, it is just that the system won't create the folder automatically for you (it shouldn't be an issue in most cases). As for emails, you can drag the email from Outlook to any folder you like - the opportunity folder for example - and then drag it into RangerMSP and file it under the relevant Sales Opportunity (or ticket, or asset, etc.). Yes, this is a two stages process which as not as fast as dragging the email directly from Outlook, but in cases you need to store the email in a specific folder it can be done quite easily, and all other emails simply drag/drop directly into RangerMSP.

I hope this helps.
Neta

acrosser
March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks Neta. I guess most of our problems stem from going from a system where we used no CRM software at all to using all the features of CommitCRM CRM. We were used to managing all communication through Outlook, and managing all shared files through Windows Explorer. So I think we are now, in transition, using a mix of Outlook, Windows Explorer andCommitCRM. So when we go into Windows Explorer to look at an Account's Docs Directory, we are seeing it "cluttered" with all the files that are related to that Account (including Opportunity Docs).

I guess we will just have to re-train ourselves to browse those files through CommitCRM exclusively, as CommitCRM will only show us files that are applicable to the tab in which we are currently browsing.

(It's already a little inconvenient to have to resize Outlook down, drag an email into the Opportunities-Docs tab, then maximize Outlook. To try to get our office admin staff to drag the email into a separate subfolder using Windows Explorer, then drag it from there into the Opportunities-Docs tab would probably be asking them too much! :) )

lpopejoy
March 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
acrosser,

We do exactly what you described as well, and have had the same feeling that we are "cluttering" the Client Folder. Before we used Commit, we created folders for agreements, documenation, licenses, etc, but now... you know how it is...

This is especially highlighted when using CommitCRM to store emails that come in via Outlook.

For this reason, and several others, I'm really optimistic that CommitCRM is going to give us all a better way to manager our Email/Outlook/CommitCRM integration. There simply needs to be a better way. Most of use Outlook for a large percentage of our communications with clients and prospects and vendors. We just need a better way to bring this into CommitCRM rather than "dragging" the email into CommitCRM and having it create a file.

As I've discussed before, a better way would be for communications to be channeled into CommitCRM via the Messages module. Email messages could then be linked to the account under the "messages" tab. Ability to "thread" the emails to view entire conversations would be nice too... For instance, when User A emails about a problem, for me to have to drag the 10 emails into CommitCRM that we send back and forth would be ridiculous. On the other hand, if I don't do that, then none of my co-workers can view what is happening with the ticket if I happen to be out and that user needs assistance.

At any rate, you understand, and I hope CommitCRM does too!! I love the software, but the email integration is just not there yet - but it will be someday, I hope!!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but this is one of my big "feature requests!" :)

Thanks,

Luke Popejoy