PDA

View Full Version : Vista and Server 2008 client crashes

natrat
February 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
hi all,

We have CommitCRM installed on an SBS2008 box, and I run the client on my Vista machine and XP laptop.

On the Vista machine, if the program has been left open but idle for some time (maybe over a couple of hours?) the client seems to crash or lose its connection with the database. Any time I go to click on a ticket tab or anywhere at all, the program locks up and fades with Not Responding. Sometimes I get a random CommitCRM related error to do with the database, other times I get nothing. Sometimes ater killing the not responding program I also cnnot log into CommitCRM again until I reboot my Vista PC. I never get these crashes on Vista while I am using the software. It only happens if its sat idle for some time.

None of the above behaviour occurs on my XP laptop.

I have checked the obvious things like power saving on the network adapter but it would seem to be a Vista related issue.

Any ideas?

Support Team
February 25th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hi natrat,

that's interesting, and I'm actually not sure what may cause this behavior. From your description it sounds like it may be related to the Vista power management mechanism. I believe that the power management works in a way which gradually stops activity when the computer is left without any activity. Amongst other things, it eventually also disconnects the computer from the network, which may cause these issues with application.

You should check whether the power management settings can be modified not to disconnect from the network. I believe this should fix the issue.

I hope this is helpful.

Sherry

FunctionOne
February 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I've had these exact same issues - I'll need to review power settings when I return from my vacation but I'm on a desktop and I believe I've disabled all sleep or shutdown functions.

kbmiller
February 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Check in the advanced settings of your network adapter and disable the ability for Windows to turn the device off to save power.