PDA

View Full Version : Switching Account name format

RenFin
February 23rd, 2017, 01:41 PM
I would like to switch my account names from the "Last, First" format they are currently in, to a more standard "First Last" format. I know how to do this in Excel, but after I make the change and import the customer list back into CommitCRM is makes duplicate users. So I have "Doe, Jane" with tickets associated with her and the new "Jane Doe" without any. Is the a way to merge or replace records with my edited Excel file? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

lpopejoy
February 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
I think you export you accounts to Excel - INCLUDING the Record ID. When you import, match the fileds you want to import and then map your RecordID column to the RecordID field. That will tell it to UPDATE not create a new record.

I would take a backup first - it could go sideways. :)

RenFin
February 23rd, 2017, 06:31 PM
Tried that. Keep getting the following error for each record:
Record 2 Not imported
Fields with illegal values:
Account: john shaw
The value in field ID has been shortened to its permitted length.

The ID field is 20 characters long for example 'Record 2' ID has value 'CRD74NWB6QFN999OLZ4Z'

I don't get it.

lpopejoy
February 23rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
I think you are mapping that column to the "ID" field. It needs to be mapped to "Record ID".

See if that works for you.

--Luke

RenFin
February 23rd, 2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks for your help Luke! But there isn't any 'Record ID' field, just 'ID' and it is the same column as the 'Accounts - Record ID' from the initial export.

lpopejoy
February 23rd, 2017, 07:24 PM
No problem. When you are mapping the fields for import, you should see a drop down at the top of that window. There is a field there called "Record ID". Right?

If not, what version are you running? - I think this feature may have been added three or four versions back.

Support Team
February 24th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Thank you for posting this.

It is indeed possible to update existing Account details using the Import Accounts tool. As lpopejoy suggested, it can be done by mapping an Account Record ID field while importing. This field is a unique identifier for the Account record.

This option is supported starting with RangerMSP 9. In case Record ID field is not listed for you, it is possible that you are using an older version.

Hope this helps.