PDA

View Full Version : Sync Outlook For All...won't

CliffordG
September 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Upgraded to 12.0.4 and thought I'd give the new Sync tool a shot but can't make it work.

It's logging shows that it's not syncing because it doesn't have permissions however if I open Outlook (2007 if it matters) I can manually add / remove / edit calendar entries.

I've used the Exchange 2010 console and given "full access" permissions to the entire mailbox to the sync user and have used Outlook to give the sync user "owner" privileges to the calendar.

Manual Sync from within CommitCRM still works.

-------------------------

09/19/2016 10:48:46 AM STARTING $User Calendar user@domain.com\Calendar
Cannot access the following folder in Outlook:
user@domain.com\Calendar
You should run Outlook, navigate to this folder and verify that you have full access rights to it by trying to add, update and delete a record in this folder.
09/19/2016 10:48:46 AM FAILED

Support Team
September 19th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Thank you for posting this and asking. Please try to run the utility again on the very same PC that you've just managed to sync from RangerMSP app itself only this time run RangerMSP by right clicking the sync utility .exe file and select the Run as Administrator option and see if that works.

Also note that the utility syncs for all users that allowed (in RangerMSP) for other to sync for them. So you should verify that from your Outlook you have full access rights to the mailboxes of all such calendars.

Hope this helps.

CliffordG
October 4th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I think I have it working, by having Outlook open, but how do you control the sync frequency?

Support Team
October 5th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Thank you for the update! The Outlook Sync Utility is configured to sync every 30 minutes.
Please note that you can run the utility and sync in parallel from different machines, so syncing may go down to every 15 minutes per folder.

Hope this helps.

CliffordG
October 5th, 2016, 08:43 AM
30 minutes is decent but please consider adding some type of control for this.

Also, can you confirm that Outlook has to be open and sitting on the calendar page for this tool work?

Support Team
October 5th, 2016, 10:13 AM
We will take a note on your request.

In general the sync should work without having Outlook calendar open. Usually it is a privileges issue that is automatically resolved when Outlook is open and has accessed the Exchange folders you need to sync with.
Please try to run the utility by right clicking the RangerMSPSyncOutlookForAll.exe file and selecting the 'Run as Administrator' option and see if that works when Outlook is closed.

CliffordG
October 5th, 2016, 10:58 AM
> Usually it is a privileges issue that is automatically resolved when Outlook is open and has accessed the Exchange folders you need to sync with.

Unfortunately this is not the case.

Even starting the sync tool with "run as admin" the sync fails if Outlook is not open and sitting in the calendar view with ALL the employees calendar's open on the screen.

If those specific conditions are met it works, if any of those conditions are not met it fails with the errors I previously stated.

I don't see how this can be a permissions issue since the sync WORKS if conditions are met. This means that the sync account has the necessary permissions, it's your MAPI calls that are failing.

Can you provide more insight into what specific permissions you believe could cause the tool to fail?

Support Team
October 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the update. Do you have full access rights to all Exchange mailboxes the sync tries to sync for?

NZCOMMS
December 12th, 2016, 07:18 PM
we have 42 calendars to sync and no matter what privileges we give we have to have outlook open on the desktop for our dispatcher to sync, 6 syncs out of 10 fail, never on the same people. We are now in our busiest season and sync failed and has created hundreds and hundreds of duplicates. This isnt the first second or third time this has happened and we are now going through the process of manually deleting.

We have had CommitCRM for a long time, we love the support and the responsiveness but were totally over this interface. it simply is not reliable

Support Team
December 13th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Thank you for posting this.

Reviewing the log files may help us better understand what's going on. In case we remember correctly from a previous analysis, the main problem was to access rights where Outlook reported that it cannot access the specified folder, as a result the sync with this user folder did not run.

I'd recommend that you try to provide full mailbox access (unlike permission at the folder level) and see if that helps. It may help, though maybe this is how things are configured already.

Also note that I see that we've suggested the you edit a registry entry for Outlook. By default it allows and supports to open up to 30 calendars, as you are syncing for more users it is possible that Outlook reaches the maximum allowed concurrently open folders and therefore rejects to connect to another folder and allow syncing with it.
In case you haven't tried to update the registry entry yet - please do so carefully, restart the PC and see whether this helps and reduces the refuse-to-connect syncing issues.

When it comes to duplicate records that is probably one of the most frustrating things to deal with :-(

Normally a sync that hasn't started does not cause any type of duplicate issues whatsoever. What might cause syncing issues that might then lead to duplicates is using other apps that syncs the same data (e.g. appointments) and do not play by the rules, that is - they overwrite meta data, used by RangerMSP syncing process, causing it to fail to match Outlook record with RangerMSP ones and as a result duplicate records are created. In case you are syncing such Outlook folders with other apps, please try to disable it for the time being.

Please let us know how things go and please do email us the log files for analysis.

Hope this helps.