PDA

View Full Version : Ticket ping-pong to another CRM system

axitech
May 31st, 2016, 11:34 AM
We are using CommitCRM 7.0 with the email connector. This works fine for email from a real person, but goes wrong if an email is sent from or via someone else's auto-ticketing CRM system.

Assume my CommitCRM is listening on our google email account "support@me.com", and my customer has a ticketing system on "helpdesk@customer.com"

I am not quite sure how it started - possibly someone@customer.com sending an email to support@me.com (fine) but also cc to helpdesk@customer.com (not fine).

CommitCRM receives the email, recognises the domain customer.com as being a contact address for Customer, so creates a ticket, and sends emails to my staff (ok), someone@customer.com (ok), and helpdesk@customer.com.

loop:
helpdesk@customer.com creates/updates a ticket and sends emails to, amongst others, support@me.com (as that is where the email came from).

CommitCRM on support@me.com sees the email, and creates a new ticket, and sends an email, amongst others, to helpdesk@customer.com
goto loop:

The only way we could stop this (once we noticed a hundred or so tickets) was to remove customer.com from the Customer account, so that the next incoming email was not recognised for automatic handling, and forwarded to the manual handling address.

I think the fundamental problem is that the remote CRM is not preserving our [TKT-0500-1234] field, but is sending out the email with the original subject it originally had, ie without a ticket number. This means that every time it sends the email a NEW ticket is created.

But we really want to recognise and auto-create tickets from people@customer.com.
We could do it by maintaining a staff list in our contacts for Customer, and having contacts for fred@customer.com, joe@customer.com, uncletomcobbly@customer.com, etc but this would be rather tedious.

Is there any way to 'blacklist' "helpdesk@customer.com" whilst still retaining the domain customer.com in the email address for the customer?

Or how else do we stop this from going wrong?

There is a related, but not so serious problem. If "someone@customer.com" is out of the office, and their email system automatically sends an 'Out of Office' email, is there any way of preventing this getting recorded as an update to the ticket?

Support Team
May 31st, 2016, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the detailed and clear post.

What you should do is configure an Automated Email rule that identifies emails coming from helpdesk@customer.com and skipping them (a sub-rule), this way you will hijack any email message that comes from this address while still be able to use the handy @customer.com catch-all trick.

Click to learn more about automated email rules.
(It talks about capturing emails that comes from RMM systems, and the like, but it is widely used for various cases such as this).

Hope this helps.