PDA

View Full Version : Questions for switching to CommitCRM

scoplin
October 29th, 2015, 04:34 PM
I'm currently looking at switching from Spiceworks for our tickets to CommitCRM and have some questions I'm hoping that folks can answer. We currently use Continuum as our RMM as well. This is a longer list, but if you know the answer to one or two things, it would help me to clarify things a lot, so thank you in advance!

- Account contact's cc'ed on tickets that come in from users in their company. I think I saw this in one of the videos. (IT Manager's that want to know what their users submit) Is this a feature?

- If a user later replies to a ticket via email and cc's a new person, does that person get added to the recipient list automatically?

- Do things in Continuum like Network Information (RMM Admin->Sites->Client->Network Information tab) sync with anything in CommitCRM? Or do you have to maintain two separate sets of documentation (Within CommitCRM and within Continuum)

- Does the Continuum Password vault sync with CommitCRM in any way or do have to maintain a separate password vault, such as Lastpass Enterprise?

- Does CommitCRM support a role for client IT Managers to login and view tickets for their companies without paying for another technician license? A view only role would suffice and they can reply to tickets via email to update them.

- CommitCRM Email Connector/Alerts Server - Can it use Google Business Apps TLS/SSL for outbound email? I have run into issues before that preclude SSL from being used and only allow TLS. If not, would a local SMTP IIS setup on the CommitCRM server that smarthosts through google be a workaround?

- How does the Quickbooks Online Integration work? We make use of time reports in QB for tech's and currently have each tech entering their time in QB Online as a time entry user. Does the integration mean that when a tech enters time into a ticket, it will get sync'ed against that employee in QB?

- In quickbooks integration, we have clients that purchase blocks of time. Is there a way to sync that back to CommitCRM once the block of time invoice is paid? Or do we go in to CommitCRM and manually increase the time their contact has?

- Can CommitCRM be run over a VPN back to the office with the server?

scoplin
October 29th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Some additional questions I forgot:

- When billing in CommitCRM, do contracts get mapped back to product/services in QB?
(edit, found answerhere).

- Can emails from certain clients be auto assigned to the Continuum Service Desk? This would allow for 24/7 support and keep us in the loop.

scoplin
October 29th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Also, what's the ticket behavior for clients replying back to closed tickets?

Support Team
October 30th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Thank you for asking. Please find our answers:

Account contact's cc'ed on tickets that come in from users in their company. I think I saw this in one of the videos. (IT Manager's that want to know what their users submit) Is this a feature?

Yes, it is can work this way. It is possible to set specific contact/email to be added automatically to all tickets created for the company and as a result they will be included in all ticket correspondence.

If a user later replies to a ticket via email and cc's a new person, does that person get added to the recipient list automatically?

Yes, such an option exists and can be turned on by running ServerConfig utility under the Email Connector tab. All details can be found in the following link:
Automatically Add Ticket Email Recipients

Do things in Continuum like Network Information (RMM Admin->Sites->Client->Network Information tab) sync with anything in RangerMSP? Or do you have to maintain two separate sets of documentation (Within RangerMSP and within Continuum)

Continuum's Sites are synced and linked to RangerMSP Accounts and Continuum's Devices are linked to RangerMSP Assets, however, Network Information details are not copied over to RangerMSP and should be looked at Continuum.

Does the Continuum Password vault sync with RangerMSP in any way or do have to maintain a separate password vault, such as Lastpass Enterprise?

Passwords for devices managed in Continuum are not duplicated to RangerMSP and should be accessed there.

Does RangerMSP support a role for client IT Managers to login and view tickets for their companies without paying for another technician license? A view only role would suffice and they can reply to tickets via email to update them

Yes, using RangerMSP Web Interface for Customers module you can define an unlimited number of Customer Web Users and allow them to access tickets and other information of their company (based on privileges)

RangerMSP Email Connector/Alerts Server - Can it use Google Business Apps TLS/SSL for outbound email? I have run into issues before that preclude SSL from being used and only allow TLS. If not, would a local SMTP IIS setup on the RangerMSP server that smarthosts through google be a workaround?

Yes Google Apps mail servers can be used by the Alerts Server and the Email Connector

How does the Quickbooks Online Integration work? We make use of time reports in QB for tech's and currently have each tech entering their time in QB Online as a time entry user. Does the integration mean that when a tech enters time into a ticket, it will get sync'ed against that employee in QB?

The integration with QuickBooks Online supports all of the features supported when integrating with the desktop edition. Time information, logged as Charges in RangerMSP, is synced with QB as a part of invoice line description, however it doesn't affect employee timesheet in QuickBooks (i.e. it is used for billing purposes)..

In Quickbooks integration, we have clients that purchase blocks of time. Is there a way to sync that back to RangerMSP once the block of time invoice is paid? Or do we go in to RangerMSP and manually increase the time their contact has?

You need to manage Block of Times in RangerMSP and invoice them to QuickBooks. Such blocks then affect tickets and charges you enter in RangerMSP. The block price should be defined in RangerMSP, as a Price-Charge, and it'll then go to QuickBooks as part of the invoice. Block levels are tracked in RangerMSP.

Can RangerMSP be run over a VPN back to the office with the server?

Yes, RangerMSP SQL Database is required to run RangerMSP Windows client over VPN. For what it worth, this will also add support for using it over Remote Desktop.

Can emails from certain clients be auto assigned to the Continuum Service Desk? This would allow for 24/7 support and keep us in the loop.

No, RangerMSP does not assign tickets for resolution by Continuum's help desk. This is an interesting idea. Thanks for asking.

Ticket will be pushed to RangerMSP's Ticket Inbox the status will remain closed though users can open the tickets if needed (e.g. in case the problem repeats itself and the email is not a simply Thank You one.

We hope this helps!

scoplin
October 30th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Wow, thanks for the detailed and quick responses. I really appreciate it. I do have some follow up questions.

Ticket will be pushed to CommitCRM's Ticket Inbox the status will remain closed though users can open the tickets if needed (e.g. in case the problem repeats itself and the email is not a simply Thank You one.

Follow up: Is there a wiki page that details how users can reopen tickets vs the thank you replies?

Can CommitCRM be run over a VPN back to the office with the server?

Yes, CommitCRM SQL Database is required to run CommitCRM Windows client over VPN. For what it worth, this will also add support for using it over Remote Desktop.

Follow up: So it sounds like we can get the web service module and do everything web based when out of the office and not need the SQL Database module? This would also kill two birds with one stone and give us the client IT Manager access.

scoplin
October 30th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Another question on the web module. Is there any difference in functionality from the CommitCRM desktop app? Can we just use the web interface for all of our needs and avoid the local desktop app?

Support Team
October 30th, 2015, 08:46 AM
You're welcome. Please find our additional answers:

Is there a wiki page that details how users can reopen tickets vs the thank you replies?

Opening a tickets involves modifying its status field and saving. There isn't a wiki page for that.

So it sounds like we can get the web service module and do everything web based when out

This is mostly correct, though some more advanced options for your team are only available when using the Windows client app. In other words, while out of the office you should be able to perform most out-of-the-office tasks, however, not all - for example you will be able to manage tickets, log charges, log time, add notes, manage assets, manage customers, etc. but you will not be able to configure custom settings for billing contracts.

Hope this helps.

scoplin
October 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Thank you, that does help!

That helps that now I know that my normal techs can do everything they need to do via the web based and management will just need to use the application for those tasks.

Does the trial include access to these modules to test them out?

Support Team
October 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Yes, all! Following the link for all setup guides.

scoplin
October 30th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Another questions on the performance of CommitCRM. We have an in-house server that we can host it on and we also have an A1 Azure server (1 core, 1.75gb ram, 40gb disk) that we can also host it on in the cloud.

I saw the recommended requirements were pretty low.

Would the Azure server provide good performance for a system that processes about 20-30 tickets a day across about 20-30 clients? (This may be a "try it and see" type of answer, but I thought I would ask)

Thanks!

Support Team
October 30th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, definitely. We have customers on Azure it it works well for them. The volume that you specified is considered low so it should work well. With Azure, or any other cloud server, you need to use RangerMSP with its SQL backend as you will also need to run RangerMSP Windows over remote sessions.

Hope this helps.

scoplin
November 2nd, 2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you, that does help!

I downloaded the installer, but I have not installed it yet. Does the trial start from the download date or the install date?

Support Team
November 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM
You're welcome. When used on new systems that did not hold RangerMSP before it should generally start from the time you install it.

scoplin
November 2nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Thank you. We appreciate the quick responses!