PDA

View Full Version : searching tickets/charges for keywords --

raymond
February 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
how can we easily search tickets/charges for keywords?

thanks --

//ray

Support Team
February 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Using RangerMSP you can easily search for Tickets by searching for words in the Problem and Resolution fields of all/filtered service Tickets.

To search, when viewing the Tickets window go to the toolbar and at the top-left select to search by "Description" or "Resolution" fields (from the drop down list) and then type the word/phrase to search.
Only Tickets that answer this search criteria will be listed.

As for searching for Charges by words - it is actually the same. Open the Charges window, from the Find drop down list select to search by "Description", type the word/phrase you want to search for and click Refresh/Find button. Only Charges records that include this word/phrase in their description will be listed.

I hope this helps.

Bracha

raymond
February 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
thanks -- this seems kind of complicated to me... If I understand, in order to find all tickets that have anything referencing a particular key word, I have to perform a search under "description" then another under "resolution" and then another one under "notes" and some how merge them together? AND if I want to also include everything mentioned in the charges of a ticket, we now need to do yet another search there?

//ray

Support Team
February 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Actually, good news about that - in our coming release (version 4.3), the Tickets search has been enhanced, and you will be able to perform exactly this - a text search which will search in the Description, Notes and Resolution at once.

HTH

Neta

raymond
February 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM
sweet! thanks --

//ray

raymond
January 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
searching for items is becoming very problematic... today I spent about 20 minutes looking for a charge to confirm it had been billed and for how much. Seems to me that the search feature found in the tickets needs to be expanded to all windows (accounts, charges, assets, etc.) – another option would be a global search window that can be used to find text across everything…

looking forward to the next release -- happy new years!

//ray

raymond
January 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
quick follow up... it is REALLY important that the search features find text "within" the fields... as it currently works, searches must match the text exactly as it is entered from the first character on. For instance, if we have an asset description of "Firewall - SonicWALL TZ190 - 24x7 Support" and we type "Sonicwall" into the asset name search, nothing is found... we need to type "Firewall - SonicWALL" for it to work... this is a huge problem... as we enter more and more into the system, we need to be able to quickly find things.

finally, wild cards need to be added...

thanks again...

//ray

Support Team
January 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hi ray,

Thanks for the feedback.

I know that searching by name (e.g. Asset Name) searches for the exact name match, rather than using a free-text search. I can see how using a more flexible search can be helpful in the cases you have shows (e.g. search for "Sonicwall") and I will add this to our feature requests list.

In the meantime you can use the Filter option (click the Filter in the search pane) for searching words within the name. In the filter window, select the field you wish to search by, and use the "Includes..." search criteria.

BTW, when searching in free-text fields, such as Description fields, this does use a free-text search and you should be able to easily find words within the description. So for example, when searching for charges, you can go about it by opening the main Charges window (click the Charges icon on the left pane), and in the "Find" field, search by the "Description" field. This will find any words within the charge description, which can be very useful.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope these tips help.

Neta

BobGoethe
July 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I am able to search for a list of charge records that contain a given word in the "Description" fields. That works OK. So I can get a list of all charges that contain the words "Microsoft Exchange."

We end up entering a ton of text in the "Description" field...tech support notes related to how we solved a computing issue (or collection of issues).

I would like to be able to search WITHIN a Charge record.

So if I have gone on site at a customer facility, solved several problems, including one with their Exchange Server, I would like to be able to zero in on those words within the description field of the charge record.

I can find no way to do that in the UI or help documentation. It may be here in a Forum discussion...but my problem here is too much data to sort through.

I would be grateful for any help.

Support Team
July 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Finding words within the charge text while viewing the charge details sounds like a useful idea! You can currently only search for the charge itself, and see the list of results, however, there is no option for searching within the description while viewing the charge details window. I have logged your suggestion to be further evaluated, thanks!

Perhaps at the moment what you can do is right-click the Description area, use Select All and Copy to copy the text to notepad or the like, and use Find from there. Not as convenient, but may do the trick...

Ethan