PDA

View Full Version : emergency support --

raymond
July 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
Historically, CommitCRM has been very stable however, this morning the email connector simply stopped processing tickets. It’s done this twice in the last 6 months and both times I was able to get the systems back up and running by simply restarting the CommitCRM Server service. This time around though, it started some internal conversation about what would happen if I were not around to troubleshoot and what our options would be during a serious outage. In other words, what kind of support do we really have. Because CommitCRM is so integrated in how we work, we need to figure a better disaster recovery plan.

I have brought this question up before and the answer has always been “email Support @ and we will get back to you”. Simply put, we are at a level where this answer isn’t good enough anymore. We need a more direct option (connection) to tech support so that we can get help if we need it during an emergency.

We understand the costs associated with having phone support available to clients (heck, it’s what we do on a daily basis!) so what I would propose is the addition of an emergency support option that users could purchase. This could be on a yearly basis (just another add on) or perhaps a per incident basis (e.g. bill a one-time charge per incident). Either way, the addition of an Emergency Support option would be most welcome.

As we continue to grow, this is going to become a more critical issue.

thanks!

//ray

Support Team
July 23rd, 2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks for suggesting this option, we will review it. As you stated yourself RangerMSP has been very stable over the last 6 years for you. Yes, just like with any other system things might go wrong at one point but usually the resolution is extremely simple.

You should know it already but unlike with many other systems, RangerMSP's architecture is very easy (which is not easy to achieve). Simply put, nothing is reall 'installed' with RangerMSP and all the setup program does is extract files to a folder. Done. Some extensions like the Email Connector or the Web interface do require an additional step or two, but again even this involved a single command running under Command Prompt (to install the service) and a few settings in an .ini file that usually consist of your IP address, your mail server credentials and that's it.
All this brings us back to what does it take to restore the system in case of a disaster - think server hard drive failure... - with RangerMSP you will simply restore the entire RangerMSP folder tree from a backup and you're done!

And, when using SQL at the back-end, you can schedule live backups - e.g. take backups of the database while the system is in use :-)

We're not saying that our support is not required from time to time, however, it is rarely required for technical stuff and is more commonly required for usage questions. Again, this is thanks to the simplified technical architecture.

Having said all that and as mentioned above, we will consider it. Thank you.

BDTECHRob
July 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Hi guys, perhaps a detailed disaster recovery plan would help with exact instructions on how to quickly recover after a critical system failure. I know it is as simple as restoring the backup to a new location but we would still need to reinstall the SQL engine and configure the services.
What happens with licensing does that need to be reinstalled? What if file paths change??

A detailed recovery section would probably make us all feel a little more secure when we go to bed at night...

Any way that's my two cents worth.

P.s. your support is fantastic

Support Team
July 25th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your feedback! and suggestion.

We actually have something that can be useful and discusses just this. It involves details on how to migrate RangerMSP from one server and to the other. This is why we do not want to post it here but we will be happy to provide it to any register customer that contacts us directly by email.