PDA

View Full Version : Change contract on a charge

lpopejoy
February 6th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I know this has come up before... But when I change the contract on a charge, it erases the price AND it adds the default item description into the charge description.

If you try to copy the price (ctrl + c) before changing the contract, the price doesn't copy...

Any possibility we get this classified as a bug instead of a feature request?

Support Team
February 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Thank you for posting. We will review and consider this.

lpopejoy
June 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Is this getting any traction at all? This drives me crazy.

Support Team
June 5th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Usually the price changes to reflect the price of the Item either the list price or the custom price set for the item using the Custom-Pricing feature at the Contract level. We do recall your other thread discussing the (good) 'trick' with using zero prices as 'alerts'... so this may be the reason why the price is zeroed in your case when the Contact is changed. In any case, we will be looking at the copy paste issue you reported, not sure if anything will change to the coming release though.

Thanks.​

lpopejoy
June 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
What happens is when you change the contract, the price is reset to whatever the item pricing is set to. We have a lot of "0" priced items where we manually fill in the price at the time of service. Whenever the contract is change, the price flips back to zero.

I know you are trying to allow the price to be overridden by a contract, and that's good, but there has to be a better implementation than this.

lpopejoy
August 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
This is still a "bug" in the latest beta. I understand what you are doing, but it is a usability problem.

I shouldn't need to make sure my software isn't overwriting pricing that is already filled in with default values.

It wouldn't be hard for the system to ASK "would you like to update pricing to reflect default item pricing" or something like that.

Support Team
August 2nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
We do not consider this a bug, however, we definitely understand the point here. Thanks for posting again, I just bump it up the list. Thanks.

lpopejoy
August 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Changing contract codes shouldn't revert item pricing back to the default item price and add the default item description to the text.

The ONLY reason this would be in any way desirable is if you had custom contract pricing.

lpopejoy
September 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
This bug is still present. I do not understand why this can't be improved. Why would I want the description changed just because I change the contract. ...and the price just wiped out? Please fix this! It would be dead simple to ASK "Do you want to replace description and charge with contract default...?" Yes/No.

Support Team
September 3rd, 2014, 06:04 AM
We haven't changed anything here. It's more complex than what it seems and also there is no right/wrong with how it should work and need to work. Anyway we definitely get the idea here and it's clear why it would have helped in cases where one don't want the price to change. Noted for review. Thanks.

raymond
September 3rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Actually, this also happens when moving charges to another ticket -- it is incredibly inconvenient and very problematic as we have to take a screen shot of the charge/ticket before making these kinds of changes and manually updating them. I understand that this is complicated with all the custom pricing and other stuff happening under the covers but as lpopejoy suggests, just give us the "yes/no" option. If we say no, just keep everything the same -- seems pretty simple to me!

Also, please get us a working cut/paste across all fields... it would be so nice to be able to copy a markup and price field and paste it when needed!

thanks!

//ray

Support Team
September 4th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Your feedback is noted. Thank you.

lpopejoy
August 3rd, 2016, 09:19 AM
I've got to say, this bug/feature is one of the most annoying things. I deal with it almost every day. I fix prices because some one doesn't know they got changed. I fix descriptions because someone doesn't know new text description got added.

There HAS to be a better way. I know what you are trying to do, but at this point, this feature is WAY more of a bug than anything else.

Can I +1 my feature request?

Support Team
August 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
Thank you for posting.

As you know, when a billing contract changes for a Charge RangerMSP applies the custom pricing option configured for the newly selected Contract. This is by designed in order to have Charges follow the pricing agreement with the client. Many user log such Charges and do not even see the price/rate involved. Then, when changed to another Contract then the price updated, even without them know anything about it. Same goes for users that do see the prices. It works the same and follows the same principles - set the price according to the agreement with the customer and the rates for the specific Contract. This is normally very useful, as I'm sure that you are aware.

I can definitely see why in some cases the way it works might not be ideal, and the case that you described is one of them.
We will definitely consider it again but there's a lot more behind it then technical aspects, for some it might mean that the "wrong" prices were selected for Charges under the Contract, that is - if a user changes the Contract and it would have kept the old contract prices, etc. So that's a real-life problem. Yet again, we will consider what may reasonably help here.

On a side note I would like to mention that version 11 has introduce a change in this direction, a safe one - when you only change a ticket for a charge, without changing the customer account or contract, it will not change the price/rate set for the charge, so in case you set specific price or rate for the charge and change tickets the price/rate will be kept, unlike before.

Thanks for your input and feedback.

lpopejoy
August 3rd, 2016, 12:16 PM
Your logic here makes sense - IF there is custom pricing for the item at any level. That isn't the case for us. If there is no custom pricing, then why should the price be erased?

At the very least, don't touch the description field - that can't be set by a price override.

Thanks!

Support Team
August 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
Noted. Thank you.