PDA

View Full Version : Can Unique asset code be replicated on another field

Rohizam
September 26th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I created a custom field for me to key in machine serial no (asset code) and i want this field to be unique against the real asset code field. Can i do this?

I need this because one ticket consist of a customer with one asset. Our service is in such a way that we need to replace a new asset for our customer and this new asset need to be recorded in the same ticket. We have a problem where by our data entry clerk mistakenly key in the original asset code into the custom field that we created for the replaced asset.

If i can make that this field is also unique against another field than it would be great.

Is there any other way?

Thanks

Support Team
September 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure that I 100% following you with this but anyway this what may work - you cannot for uniqueness on a custom text field you create, however, from what you described it seems like you need to select an Asset record for this field, and decided to type in its code. If this is the case you can add a custom field of the 'Linked Object' type. This way you will be able to use this field to link to a real Asset, unlike just specifying its code (Once added and you're out of design/customization mode, use the drop down of the custom field label to switch the object to an Asset selection field).

Hope this helps.

Rohizam
January 30th, 2013, 08:03 PM
How do i add a custom field of the 'Linked Object' type in the Asset record?

Maybe let me explain further. Our service is to replace an asset with another asset to our customers. We need to record down both of the asset code into the CRM on the same ticket. The first asset code (asset at customer premises) is keyed into the CRM before we replace it with another asset. Once we replace this asset, we need to record down this new asset code into the same ticket. We want to eliminate the mistakes whereby the same asset code were key into the same ticket or any other ticket for the matter.

Is there a way to make 2 fields unique (at least on the same ticket or system wide)? If it can, this will solve our issue.

Your suggestion of using 'Linked Object' sounds it may work for us but i do not have any idea how to go about it.

Kindly reply.

Thanks

Support Team
January 31st, 2013, 06:08 AM
From what I understand you need both Assets to be shown in the Ticket. Currently only one Asset can be linked to the Ticket, but you can add a new custom field to note that another Asset was involved in the Ticket.
You should create new custom tab under Tickets and add new field of type 'Linked Object'. In order to select Asset record in this field just click on the label (the default is Ticket).
Note that asset saved in custom field under the ticket link from the Ticket to the Asset but not the other way - e.g. the Ticket will not be shown under Tickets tab of this Asset.
In regards to your other question there is not warning when the user selects the same Asset of the Ticket for the newly created custom field that holds an Asset reference.

Click to learn more about field customizations in RangerMSP. We recommend that you 'play' with it first on a stand-alone trial installation of RangerMSP and only then implement it for your main system.