PDA

View Full Version : Make the Outlook "Auto Sync" a machine setting

lpopejoy
September 5th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I find myself logging in on multiple machines where I do not want the Outlook Auto Sync to run... front desk... lab machine... another user's PC that I happen to answer the phone at, etc... it gets really annoying to have the Auto Sync pop up all the time trying to run. What do you think, could that be made a "machine" setting - instead of just following the user to whatever machine he/she logs into? Just a thought.

nattivillin
September 6th, 2012, 05:33 AM
+1 from me.

When i am at another machine, especially one without outlook it causes a significant delay.

Support Team
September 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Haven't heard this one before! We don't really like having such settings as machine specific. This will definitely cause confusion as once someone set it to auto-sync they expect the system to do this for them, regardless of the machine.
You may consider disabling Auto-Sync settings, in regards to having this setting saved, and simply activate auto-sync, without saving this settings, whenever you need to. It all depends about the number of times you use RangerMSP on a machine you want auto sync to run in comparison to the others. In any case, we'll give some additional thoughts to it. Thanks.

sudogreg
September 6th, 2012, 07:09 AM
were also looking at having a dedicated machine sync out users appointments and tasks with office 365 - we should try to put together as much info as we can. i had 2 users being synced with one CommitCRM user dedicated to just autosync - but then that user cant be used on any other system. thoughts?

nattivillin
September 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think this is just a side effect of the whole sync system setup.

Some people don't have outlook client, they only use owa. We cant sync them at all.

I use CommitCRM in VPN mode mainly, and if i forget to disable auto sync......

If i leave my desk to go to the sale counter and login to commit, it tries to sync with an outlook profile that isn't on that computer. That fails horribly.

I leave CommitCRM and outlook running on my main pc at the main office to keep my calendar in sync, but not every tech has a permanent "desk".

What we "really" need is a way for this to happen in the back, unattended, and not be set on a per machine basis. Seems crazy to need to setup every user in outlook on one desktop just to sync a calendar. We shouldn't need to purchase a dedicated machine just for this.

Thinking of the way CommitCRM syncs with the pst / ost, I see why it isn't easier, i just don't like the current implementation.

lpopejoy
September 8th, 2012, 06:01 AM
+1 to what nattivillin said. The reason this is a problem is due to the fundamental design flaw of the calendar sync. This is not a workstation job. This is a server job. Whether you use exchange of google apps, you should be able to set this up on the server and forget it, IMO. Use the MAPI client on the server from Microsoft, and it shouldn't be too big of a deal. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1004). For exchange, at least, the use of the MAPI client on the server may be all that is needed, but guessing that Commits sync tool would have to change a bit to use that instead of Outlook to integrate with.

Anyway, I loom forward to what you guys figure out on this!

Support Team
September 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys for all your feedback and suggestions.

sudogreg
September 10th, 2012, 06:12 AM
what is the best way to go about using a dedicated CommitCRM account for sync'ing everyone elses calendars? i know this required exchange, just want to see what people are doing that works? i also have 2 or 3 stations i login at and can only sync on MY desktop

Support Team
September 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM
When using Exchange, any PC that you log into and can have Outlook working and successfully accessing your Exchange folders (Contacts, Appointments, Tasks) can be used to sync your Calendars. In other words - if Outlook has access to a folder on your Exchange server then RangerMSP should be able to sync it on this PC.