PDA

View Full Version : add new asset using web interface

asmbit
December 29th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I want the customer to be able to add new assets using the web interface, not every customer calls me and say that they have a new printer that needs to be added to the asset management (obviously they're lazy), so i want to offer them the option to DIY. How can i enable this?

thanks

Steven
December 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I don't think you can add assets from the web portal. As far as i know you can only add tickets and comments.

asmbit
December 30th, 2007, 02:44 AM
mmm will this feature be available in near future??

Steven
December 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't trust my customers to add assets. I wouldn't like them to change the warranties, prices, etc.... Anyway, someone from the support team will probably post an answer to this...

asmbit
December 30th, 2007, 04:53 AM
you made a good point there., sounds right.

Support Team
December 31st, 2007, 01:27 AM
Hi guys,

Good points raised here... Thanks.

Customer can currently see their Assets details using the web portal (you can allow/disallow this in Tools > Options > Web Interface), however, they cannot add new Assets (only employees can add/edit Assets using the web interface). It is not enabled for customers, pretty much for the reason mentioned above - Assets contain sensitive data, including financial and licensing info and therefore we do not allow them to access this information and modify it.

You may be interested to know that with our next release (currently in beta, expected in a few weeks) we will be introducing the Email Connector module which will allow automatic Tickets creation out of Emails. You may consider asking your customers to send you an email with the basic Asset details, and it will automatically open a Ticket which you will handle by creating the Asset in RangerMSP, and then you can take care of the sensitive stuff yourself.

Eitan