PDA

View Full Version : Printing to PDF from Web interface on Android Smart Phone

Mister-c
May 10th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone and I'm having the following issue:

Whilst on site I update the job details using the CommitCRM web interface. Upon completion I view the ticket details and choose to print to PDF and pick a report. The PDF saves. When I try to open the file in a PDF viewing app so that the customer can sign the report I get a message that the file is not a valid PDF document. I have tried multiple pdf viewing apps and I have tried saving using the stock Android browser and using Dolphin HD browser and the outcome is the same.

I can do the same thing using my iPad without any problems. Is there a way to get this working on android? Any other android users out there fancy giving this a go to see if it works for you?

Thanks

Mark

Support Team
May 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Well, this sounds very strange and we're not familiar with this problem.
Did you try to display the PDF document from the Browser itself? While it normally works and it should I recommend that in the current issue try to download the file and then open it "manually" with the PDF reader, unlike having it displayed within the Browser itself.
Does it work?

Also, if you email this PDF from your Samsung Note to a standard PC, does it open?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Dina

Mister-c
May 11th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hi,

No I saved the file and then try and open it from various PDF programs. I have just sent a copy of one of the PDFs to my PC and still cannot open it. Adobe Acrobat says it is either not a valid file or is damaged or corrupted.

After a bit of investigating it would appear that the file is saving as a .htm file instead of a pdf. If I change the file to htm instead of pdf I can view it and the formatting is correct. Very strange. I am going to do some digging to see if this is an android issue....

Support Team
May 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Thank you for the update. I'm glad to learn that you can now open these PDF files in your mobile.

Mister-c
May 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yes but opening them as a htm is no good to me. I need them to open as a PDF so I can get a signature on them.

Mister-c
May 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I have now managed to get it working using the Opera browser. The stock browser and Dolphin HD still don't work but at least I have a working solution now :)

nattivillin
May 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
We have an android tablet i was thinking of using to have clients sign the form without us having to print it out.

How do you enable them to sign on the pdf you saved from the web interface?

Mister-c
May 18th, 2012, 05:37 AM
There are a few different pdf apps available on the Google Play store that let you fill pdf forms and sign them or annotate them. I haven't settled on a favourite app yet but I've tested Adobe Reader, Fill and Sign PDF forms, Repligo Reader, and iAnnotate. Some will have a dedicated signature tool, others you just use the draw freehand tool. On the iPad I have an app called PDF Expert which works brilliantly but unfortunately it isn't available on Android.