PDA

View Full Version : Ticket "Field1" size

lpopejoy
April 12th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I want to make Field1 so it can hold more characters than it does currently. I would like to hold maybe 50-100 characters (enough space for a long email address).

Is there any way to do this?

Support Team
April 12th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Field1 is a system custom field (yet you can modify its name and label) that is part of the main Tickets database table and therefore its length is fixed.

You can, however, use the Field Customization feature. It allows you to add completely new fields and tabs, and set the newly created fields size and type.

HTH

lpopejoy
April 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Problem is that the Labtech plugin uses the Field1 to store the users email address on "user submitted" tickets from the Labtech tray agent. I don't have the option to change where that is stored - in other words I CAN'T store it in a custom field or I would (would prefer that actually), but don't have that option in this case.

So there's NO way that the field could be made to hold 65 characters (hope I never see an email address longer than that)? What brought it to my attention is an email address this morning that was trimmed off - it was about 55 characters long.

Thanks for your help,

Luke

Support Team
April 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
OK, the requirement is clearer. I guess that Field1 is probably not the optimal field to store email addresses (though most are not that long). In general with our API one can use any of the other Ticket fields including ones that have been added/customized by the user.

Thanks.

lpopejoy
April 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't help me... Plus it's difficult to reference custom fields via the API, which I'm sure is why they are using Field1.

Support Team
April 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
LabTech uses the RangerMSP's low level API and referencing a system field or a custom one is actually done in the very same way - by specifying the field-ID (for what it worth, this is also supported in the newer higher level APIs in C#, VB.NET and C++). However, this would have required them to provide a user interface for users to specify the ID of the customized field, which would ended in a more complex configuration phase for end users.

lpopejoy
April 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant by "difficult"... Anyway, so no way to make this field larger?

Support Team
April 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Unlike a customized field the Field1 data field is a system field with a fixed sized.