PDA

View Full Version : Storing Client RDP and http IP settings in client's account

always4225
December 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
How and where can we drop in an RDP shortcut into the client's account so staff members can use the remote desktop shortcut to get into the client's server. The same situation exists with saving the client's http IP address settings to gain remote access into the client's router from the WAN side.

Support Team
December 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
You can keep the RDP/Http shortcut as an attached file (RangerMSP document) of type .lnk insideRangerMSP. The easiest way to this is to drag-and-drop the desktop shortcut icon from your desktop onto the RangerMSP window (while the relevant Account is selected in RangerMSP). This will automatically create a new Document linked to the selected Account. This will add the shortcut file (.lnk) as a RangerMSP document. Now, whenever you or your employees want to run it, go to the Account Docs tab and double click on this document (shortcut) row.

Note: This will copy the shortcut into the RangerMSP documents folder. If you want the shortcut to run from the original location on your disk (e.g. if the shortcut properties are private), make sure that when the new document window is displayed (after dropping the shortcut) you change the Create From field from "Copy…" to "Link…" – this way the original shortcut will be activated.

HTH.

Eitan

wsandwith
January 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I tried this and it did not work for me...

wsandwith
January 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Ok, I have figured out that if I create a word document and then insert an object into the document and then save. When i open the document it will display the hyperlink to the RDP and once it is clicked the RDP runs

Support Team
January 2nd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Using a shortcut in the Word document is another way to do this, but it requires to open the Word Document, which is more cumbersome.

Creating the shortcut as a RangerMSP Document should work for you, and I'm not sure what went wrong.

You can try the following steps:
1. Create a new shortcut on your desktop, which points to your remote desktop program (e.g. mstsc)
2. Provide the parameters (remote IP address, credentials, etc.) in the activation command.
3. Drag-and-drop this shortcut from the desktop into RangerMSP when the relevant Account is selected inRangerMSP.
4. A "New Document" window will open which points to your .lnk file in the File Name field.
5. After saving this new documents, double-clicking it should activate the remote desktop program.

I hope the procedure is more clear now and that it will work for you.

Dina

wsandwith
January 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
nope, it still does not work for me. I must be special!

Support Team
January 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
mmm, this really should work...

Can you provide more information on what exactly happens?
Are you able to create the RangerMSP Document by dragging and dropping the shortcut toRangerMSP? When you double click the Document to open it, does it not open the RDP application? Do you have full access rights privileges to the shortcut file? Any other information which may help?

Eitan

wsandwith
January 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I am able to create the CommitCRM document by dragging and dropping the desktop shortcut. When I try to open it the RDP I get nothing I have full rights to the file.

However when I drag & drop the RDP application into CommitCRM I can get it to work.
But it does not contain that clients specific details.

Support Team
January 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
This seems like a local problem, since this really should work.

Please contact us directly using the RangerMSP Help menu > Technical Support and use the "attach log files" option. We will then try to learn more from the logs.

Eitan

wsandwith
January 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you, I will.

I would like to commend youself and your peers for the prompt service provided thus far!
I believe that purchasing your software will be an easy decision to make.