PDA

View Full Version : Setup CommitCRM to work via workgroup? Do you REALLY need a server?

monkeyman
October 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Is it possible to setup CommitCRM to work over a workgroup, rather than just on a server? We have Server 2003 SBS, but TBH the system is hosed and needs to be reinstaled. But rather than reinstall that OS, we have a brand new Win 7 Pro machine that's ready to roll. Just curious if we can make CommitCRM work (GOOD) via workgroup? And if so, any special instructions?

Thanks in advance,

MM

Support Team
October 5th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Yes, you can use RangerMSP without using an actual server but instead by using one of your LAN PCs as the "server".
Create a share folder on this central PC where all users have all access rights and all privileges to and install RangerMSP trial into this folder. Done! Install RangerMSP client on each networked PC and all can share the data etc.

I do recommend that you treat this main PC as a server - attach a UPS, make sure it's stable and all of the other normal procedures.

Thanks,
Dina

monkeyman
October 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Excellent.

Now, does a CommitCRM backup include all user data, settings, custom forms, etc... Everything I need to back to where I was? Or should I copy the CommitCRM folder over to the new setup?

Support Team
October 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
RangerMSP backup does backup your data, settings, configurations, customizations and user data.
The only things that it does not include is the external files you attach to it. These should be backed us as part of your standard business files backup procedure.

I hope this helps.
Dina

-David-
October 7th, 2011, 04:49 AM
One thing I noticed when moving the installations of CommitCRM on a server to a workgroup PC is that the path to the documents folder does not change in the documents list to the new location.

You will have to manually rename the path to each file.

I also noticed that the file path on the clients accounts to the documents folder was not always updated to the new location in settings needed to be amended.

Support Team
October 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM
There's a utility designed to resolve just this! It will replace the relevant part of the path for all document paths and account default path settings to the new path.
Click here to learn more about it.

Thanks,
Dina