PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Store Client Configuration

DavidFarrior
December 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM
I would like to know if there are any tricks to storing client data inCommitCRM. Would you suggest just creating some kind of custom form or use the document linking.

Any input would be appreciated. I am just implementing CommitCRM and would like to start moving over my customer configs. I just want to get it right the first time if possible.

If you guys use custom fields, I would like to see some screenshots to get some ideas if possible.

Thanks.

Support Team
December 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hi,

You can import existing client data you have into RangerMSP from various sources. You can either import Excel or Text files which contain the clients data, or import existing contacts from Outlook if you use it.

If you have already existing documents which are related to this client, you can simply drag-and-drop them into RangerMSP so they will be filed under the relevant Account, or, for a larger number of documents use the Tools > Import & Export > Import Documents folder to import the all/many of the files for each Account.

I recommend on going over the RangerMSP Setup guide which can give you some more detailed information about importing clients into RangerMSP and setting up the system in general. You can also find other useful guides on our site under Support > Documentation.

Re custom fields - you may either use the predefined custom fields - Field1, Field2, etc. and adjust them for your needs, for example to store the business type of your customers ("Law Office", "Restaurant", etc.) - you can also modify the labels of this fields to a more relevant one by right clicking the field name and selecting "Field Settings".

Alternatively you can create completely new tabs and data fields to store the information you need about your customers. I know many of our users have customized RangerMSP so the information they store on each customer is more relevant to their business needs, maybe some users can post here and share how they have customized the tabs and fields for their own usage.

Anna

brills
January 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
David, we purchased Karl Palachuk's book on network documentation. We complete a notebook and leave that notebook at the client site for their and our benefit.

Because CommitCRM doesn't allow viewing of documents via the web interface we create an asset for each item i.e. Server, Modem, Firewall, Backup, GoDaddy certificate etc... then we record any critical information about the device in the notes field i.e. the IP, DNS, ISP phone number, etc. in the notes section of both the modem and the firewall asset.

We NEVER record username/passwords in any CommitCRM form. For passwords and critical sensitive data we have a large volume of Adobe fillable worksheets that we use they then get password protected and attached to the Asset in CommitCRM (a pain when offsite but better then getting sued.)

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Support Team update:
Just a quick update about some stuff in this post -
1) you can download and upload documents via the Web Interface in the latest version.
2) Starting with version 5.6 you can use Asset Configuration Notes to enter important asset configuration in a easy-to-use format.

Learn more about latest updates in Version Updates.