PDA

View Full Version : Virus in the software?

pentest
May 12th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hello,

I just downloaded the full version trial from your website and when I was installing the software AVG prompted me that there was a threat detected. I took a screen shot of the message. It said the threat name was: Trojan horse PSW.OnlineGames3.BITE and it is referencing file CmtDbQry.dll

Why is this happening?

The link to the screenshot is http://tinyurl.com/3sgatmq

Support Team
May 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It is probably a false positive alarm. The dll file you listed is part of our API that allows third party programs to query the database. Maybe it includes a sequence of bits that reminds the anti-virus a signature of something else.

In case we will received other reports on this we will contact AVG (they have a method to post such false-positive reports) so they'll fix it with their future updates.

I hope this helps.
Sheli

pentest
May 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM
OK, thanks for the reply, I just wanted to double check before I finished the installation. Do you guys have a md5 checksum that I can use to make sure that the installation file has not been compromised?

Support Team
May 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sure. Most executable files (.exe) are digitally signed. Please right click the \RangerMSP\Client\RangerMSP.exe file (this is the main application file), select Properties and verify the it is digitally signed by us. Same for other .exe files. In case you have doubts about specific file/s please let us know.

Thanks,
Sheli

Support Team
May 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM
One more thing - the setup file itself - the one that you download to install RangerMSP is also digitally signed. Please verify that your downloaded copy is signed by us.

Thanks,
Sheli