PDA

View Full Version : Information for Contacts

Shunsa
January 19th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I am in the process of setting up all of our clients in CommitCRM and so far I like the system. There is an annoying issue I keep running into and maybe I missed a setting. When I put in the address and phone numbers for XYZ Company and then I go to add the other contacts for XYZ Company I have to reenter the address and phone numbers all over again.

Is there a way to have the Company's address, phone number, and other details automatically populate any new contacts of that company? I either have to retype the same information which introduces possible errors or just leave it blank.

If anyone knows the answer to this please let me know.

Support Team
January 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Shunsa,

Thank you for asking this.

Actually, in many cases you don't need to copy the same address and contact information to the secondary contact record, unless its different. This is because in many cases the system merges this information for you.

For example:
If you have customer "ACME Company" with address and phone number, and a contact "Joe Doe" without an address and a phone number and now you add a new service Ticket to this customer and select Joe as the Ticket' contact person - the system will show the ACME company address and phone numbers under the Ticket's 'Contract/Asset' tab (see the bottom part - on the left side the Account details are displayed and on the right side the Contact details are displayed) - so you have the address/phone of the Company even if you just look at the Ticket and Joe has no address/phone attached to it.

Now, if the Ticket needs to be dispatched and you drag/drop it on the Calendar using the Dispatcher window a new on-site visit Appointment is then added. If you'll look at the newly create Appointment details you'll see both the Company details address/phone as well as Joe's.

In case Joe has a different address or phone number than the main Account has, Joe's details are the ones that will appear in the Calendar automatically (with the main account details displayed right after).

To sum this up, in many cases simply add the Contact name and nothing needs to be copied from the main Account, in some cases you may want to edit the specific Contact address/phone details, usually when they differ from the ones set to the main company Account.

Hope this helps.
Dina

Shunsa
January 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks

advantageuk
January 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I was just looking for an answer to the same.

I think I would personally prefer it if the fields were filled in, so that when you add a new contact (within an Account) the address / phone details are automatically copied to the new contact.

This would also make for easier reading.

Support Team
January 27th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your comment!