PDA

View Full Version : Questions while checking out the trial...

SkinnerTech
December 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Guys

I am checking out your software right now. I am really excited about some of the features and am happy about how everything is coming together. However, there are a couple of things that I feel are missing, or maybe I don't know where to look.

1) The Knowledge Base formatting is very basic. I would like to be able to create KB articles that can include images or maybe even videos. More formatting options would also be nice, as far as font style, size, color, etc. I know that I can attach documents to a KB, but it would be nice to get everything on the same page. Is this possible?

2) When entering a software asset (a Windows license, for example) I would like to be able to link it to a client's hardware asset (a workstation). In other words, I would like it to be able to show that a certain Windows license has been applied to a certain computer. I don't see that option. Right now I am using the "Location" field.

3) I have a few custom fields in QuickBooks such as a "Client ID". Is there any way to map QB's custom "Client ID" field to Commit's "Account Number" field?

4) For an asset, I would like to create a custom field under "Vendor/Manufacturer" -> "Manufacturer Details" called "Support Site" that I can put a URL in. I've tried creating a custom field but a URL won't fit in it. I'd rather use a field than have to list it in the notes. Is this possible?

5) For an asset, I would like to be able to have more options for "Type". Currently there is only "Hardware", "Software", and "Other". I would like to be able to have options like "Workstation", "Domain Controller", "Printer", etc. I know I edit a custom field to be able to use that. But since the field already exists I would rather use it. Any ideas?

6) I don't see a way to track multiple locations for an account.

7) I would like to be able to change the field lengths. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really happy about the potential of this software and hope that it works for us!

Skinner Tech

Support Team
December 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hi SkinnerTech,

Thank you for posting this and for sharing some of your requirements/ideas with us.

1. As you already know, to each Knowledge Base Article you can attach an unlimited number of files which can be of any formats - images, photos, videos, sound clips, etc. Additional formating options are not currently available though I can see why it would help.

2. You can link to another Asset by customizing the fields an adding a new field of type "Linked Object". This field can be used to link any object to another object, including an Asset to an Asset. You then have built-in support to search the Asset to link.

3. Unfortunately no. The set of fields synced between RangerMSP Accounts and QuickBooks Customers is fixed.

4. For this you should create a custom field of type "Web Address".

5. The existing Type is a higher level type - Hardware, Software, Other. Use one of the other fields for the sub type. For example, Select the Hardware type and the from a dedicated list with a drop down - "Server", "Router", "Printer", etc. Same goes for software.

6. There are several options here and the answer on how to implement it depends on whether you bill all locations as a single customer, or each location separately with its own billing arrangements.
Assuming that you bill all locations as a single customer -
You need to use one main Account for your customer in RangerMSP.
Then, each location will be implemented using Secondary Contacts feature of the Account (under the Account’s Contacts tab).

This will allow you to keep information per location (such as name, address, phone numbers and more).
You will then be able to link Tickets, Assets, Charges, History Notes to the relevant location by linking them to the relevant Contact (to each of these records you can assign a contact after selecting the main Account).

As for billing – it’s actually the same idea - When logging in Charges for this Account, you can select the secondary Contact (i.e. location) which should be linked to the Charge (next to the Account selection field). This way you can link any Charge to the relevant location (and use this for reports, etc.), and still keep all Charges linked to the same Account for billing.

If the billing is done separately for each location, then you can manage a complete separated Account for each location.
You can then use the Relations tab of an Account to link between two Accounts. This also support the linking type between the accounts, and allows easy navigation between all related accounts (double click a link account to navigate to it). However, it does not support consolidating billing reports and similar consolidation reports.

7. For textual custom fields you can set the length when adding them. The length of system fields is fixed and cannot be modified.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Sherry

AN-Tech
December 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
In regards to #2, can you provide more detailed information on how to do this. I don't see a type available for "Linked Object".

Thanks

Support Team
December 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Sure - it refers to custom fields.

When adding custom fields to custom tabs you create, you can select the type of field to create - a Date field, a textual field, a numeric field, a memo field etc.

One of the available types is called "Linked Object".

Once added, this field will store a link to any object the user selects. For example, you can use it to link to an Asset, to a Ticket, etc.

HTH,
Sherry