PDA

View Full Version : Hosted company file w/ multiple user & web client

joshie4ever
December 27th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hi,
I have a few questions before I buy the commitcrm software. Here's my setup:
I have two people that I would like to be able to dispatch from the software, one of them will be in a remote location. I also have about 3 techs that I would like to be able to log into the software to update, create and manage tickets.

I'm guessing that the best way to accomplish this is to purchase the CommitCRM SQL package but would I still have to buy the Crm software in addition to this? And would the license also apply to the web interface or would that be another addition.

Or is it possible to setup a VPN and share the company file with more than on machine?

Second question, has any one run the Crm software and Quickbooks on the same machine with the web function enabled? I'm weary about this because I don't want a hacker or someone to find a security breach in the system and gain access to the Quickbooks file. I have a lot of hardware laying around (1 firewall, 2 firewall/VPN's, 4 servers, etc..) and I can make any setup work. Just looking for a setup that someone is using without any issues.

Thanks

Support Team
December 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hi joshie4ever,

Thank you for posting this.

Please find our answer to the SQL question -

A license for RangerMSP Software is always required. It is the software itself, the application. You can then add additional Employee and module licenses, based on your functionality requirements.

SQL Database for RangerMSP is an optional add-on product. It makes the system more robust and is usually required for larger networks. Besides, it enables using RangerMSP client over Terminal Services sessions. Once this back-end SQL database with CommiCRM all modules work with it, including the Web interface. SQL Database can be added at any time in the future.

Hope this helps.
Dina

joshie4ever
December 27th, 2010, 09:19 AM
So is it safe to assume that I can purchase a one user license for the standard Crm and the purchase a 5 user SQL license ? Would this allow me to have 5 or 6 employees in the system with access to the web client?

Support Team
December 27th, 2010, 09:28 AM
joshie4ever,

I believe that you are confusing different things.

SQL Database for RangerMSP is an optional product. It is licensed on top of your RangerMSP software and employee/module licenses. The way the SQL is licensed is by the number of concurrent connections to the database (each running RangerMSP client or a RangerMSP Service on the server consumes 1 connection). This is not to be confused with Active Employee licenses, which are required according to the number of different employees you want to manage in the system.

This page provides details about SQL Database, if you'll scroll down you'll find an FAQ section that provides answers to common questions including licensing related ones.

Hope this helps,
Dina

lpopejoy
December 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
The CommitCRM license is an "Active User" license. So if you have 6 techs, you need 6 CommitCRM User Licenses. The SQL license is optional, as Dina said, and you need as many licenses of that as you have concurrent users - if you are going to use it.

Regarding the VPN, with or without the SQL, CommitCRM performance (using the desktop app) is very very bad over a VPN. Don't even bother trying it. Your best bet is to setup a terminal server and run the CommitCRM App on that OR just use the web interface (but that isn't nearly as functional). If you just have one remote user, you could also just setup a workstation for them to remote desktop into. IF you are going to do the terminal server (one machine w/ multiple users using it) you do have to use the SQL addon. If you just want to use the desktop app via Remote Desktop (one computer and one user) then you can get a work around from CommitCRM to enable it. Typically, you will get an error if you try to open the CommitCRM app from a remote desktop session if you do not have the SQL addon.

What many people on the forums have asked for, and hopefully will come someday is a either a good way to run the desktop CommitCRM application over a VPN OR a web interface that is at least as functional as the desktop application (or both!). Either of those would make the job of a remote user much easier.

Hope that helps you!

Luke

joshie4ever
December 28th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks Luke. I've been questioning how to setup this up for the past few days and you just answered everything that I was thinking.

Thanks Dina - I just wasn't sure about the license and you were able to answer those questions for me

I will probably do the RDC for the remote employee. That seems like the best solution at this point. That way I can keep everything behind the firewall.

Im really excited about using CommitCRM. I have not seen anything on the market that comes close.

Support Team
December 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM
joshie4ever thank you for your feedback and thanks Luke for the clear details.
Whenever it is required, please contact us directly for further information about remote controlling your PC.

Thanks,
Dina