PDA

View Full Version : manage clients passwords

mcjack
December 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
What is a better way to manage/store passwords for different clients, eg, password for their ISP, Servers, Wireless, Hosting, etc. At the moment I have them as seperate assets for each items, which is OK as you have easy access but security wise not good as any employee can view ALL of them, I need to do it securely. What do you recommend or How do other users store such confidential information?

Support Team
December 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
mcjack,

We know that some users attach this information to the Asset records as an encrypted Word document. You then double click it from the Docs tab of the Asset and require to enter a password before being able to view the passwords, etc.

Hope this helps.

Doron

racassel
December 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM
This might be a practical solution for a small 1 or 2 user shop, but with 10 or 20 technicians its not practical. CommitCRM needs a better solution for displaying account passwords. If you store the password under the asset, it is a hassle to click multiple buttons to find one password. Time is money. Every second counts when rendering fast technical support. IT is a tough enough business without having to hassle with obtaining account passwords. Please consider implementing a password manager, and a report that will list all assets and passwords. For example, when I remotely access an account it would be helpful to pop up a complete at-a-glance list that can be easily scanned to locate the necessary information. Limiting the accounts a technican can see is another feature request that has been overlooked for a long time. I run a 10 user shop, review CommitCRM every year specifically looking for this feature, then pass on it for another year.

Red Five IT
December 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I concur with racassel. It is very difficult to quickly locate a password to login to a network. Currently, we have developed another tab under the customer account that includes this data: Wireless SSID, Wireless Pass-phrase, Wireless Encryption Method, NetBIOS name, Subnet mask, DNS Suffix, Gateway, External IP range, DNs Servers, Admin account name, Admin Account password.

then under Assets, we have a separate item for each asset.

lpopejoy
December 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
We store all that info in the notes field... But that gets really unmanageable. It would be cool to have a table format or something. Like a mini excel sheet that could have tabs added for client documentation. Storing it under the asset just isn't the right solution. ...making a custom tab lacks expandability, but that is a good start. Right now, notes seem to be the best place, but I would LOVE to see improvements made here, or a better suggestion if someone has one!

Support Team
December 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

How about adding an Asset called "Passwords" and use Asset Configuration Note to store all information? Then you will simply double click this Asset and see all related passwords in a more configurable and extendable way.

lpopejoy
December 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe I'm not following you... but how is this more configurable and extendable that just dumping them all in the Account "notes" section?

Support Team
December 20th, 2011, 06:15 AM
It's more configurable because you can define Configuration Notes Templates up-front. For Example - for a router you want User, Password, and SSID, for a software credential you may want: User, Password, Key, etc. So you can easily select a template and have all entries ready for you to fill. It is also more organized as data is displayed nicely with entry labels and entry data fields unlike a free memo field where you need to handle formatting and write all labels manually. I recommend that you give it a try and see how it works for you.

Thanks,
Dina

racassel
December 20th, 2011, 01:23 PM
It would be nice for CommitCRM to provide some stock templates with these configurations mentioned above.