PDA

View Full Version : Doc Folder & Importing

netplatforms
December 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi,

Is there a way to create a document folder for each customer automatically under commit\docs and when importing document from other sources they actually get imported into the customer folder rather than just a link to them on their current location.

Channi

Support Team
December 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Document folders are created automatically for each customer. The first time you add a document for the Account the system recommends the folder name and when approved it is assigned to the Account and all documents will be stored there automatically there. Importing a folder full of files creates a link to the document files and doesn't copy them. In case you simply want to set the existing folder (the one that has been used for a while to hold files for the Account outside of RangerMSP) as the default document folder for the Account, visit the Account's Details tab and modify the Default Dir value.

HTH,
Dina

natrat
March 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I remember long ago somebody talking about a fantasy import tool for CommitCRM that would insert existing client document folders/files (eg. created separately from CommitCRM prior to using commit). I'd still love something like this, I have a huge folder structure of client docs that would just take too long to manually drag into CommitCRM (or fully import). Even a tool that would allow me to map my current client folder names toCommitCRM.

Also on the CommitCRM docs front, is there a way to set a default sub folder for copies of the emails CommitCRM creates? my root client folders have the key docs in them and i dont like the root folder getting cluttered up with .eml files.

Support Team
March 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
natrat,

A folder import feature already exists.

Navigate to the Docs tab of the Account you want to to import documents to, right click and from the menu that opens select 'Import Documents Folder', select that files to import and confirm.

Note that the files remains at their original location, however, this is all transparent to you as the entire list of documents is now displayed under the Docs tab. Double clicking a document will open its file from the correct path automatically.

As to your other questions - currently there's a single store folder for each customer.

Thanks,
Sheli

natrat
March 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Yep i know that but the issue is i dont really want to have to open 400 different CommitCRM accounts one by one and click import on every one.

I thought there might be a tool that lets you map the folders to each account, then does the import automatically. A bit like mapping Word merge fields from a spreadsheet of data. Doesn't matter, theres obviously nothing like this available.

lpopejoy
March 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I had suggested a service that would run on the server that would periodically scan your folder structure and update CommitCRM accordingly. That way wether you save a file directly to your shared location or drag it via windows explorer, your DB is always up to date. So far that has never been implemented! Although I still think it would be a good idea. :)

Support Team
March 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Noted. It's all about priorities. Thanks.