PDA

View Full Version : Deleting a Contact Messes Up Tickets and Assets

BryanP
December 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM
In a couple cases, the primary contact for a site was entered as a sub-contact. I moved the contact info to the Account record and deleted the sub-contact. I then found that tickets and assets which had been created with this sub-contact were messed up: The contact field for these records now shows a (seemingly) random contact, and I cannot change it.

Support Team
December 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
BryanP, You are correct. in some cases deleting a secondary contact might break links to it from other places. We're considering preventing the deletion of secondary contacts in cases where other records linked to it. In the meantime please refrain from deleting existing secondary contacts, you may rename them instead.

Thanks,
Dina

BryanP
December 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's good to know going forward, but what do I do in the mean time? I now have assets, linked to tickets and such, that have incorrect contacts. Is there a way to fix this? I hesitate to delete the assets for fear of breaking something else.

Support Team
December 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
You should visit those Tickets and reselect the Contact. The problem is only related to secondary Contacts. You cannot delete records, like Assets, that already have Tickets link to them, etc. Nothing else will break, you do need to select the Contact again though.

Thanks,
Dina

aaspeer
February 20th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I found this out today, but I cannot go into the ticket and change the contact. It doesn't give me any options in the list besides the "random" contact it lists within the ticket.

Austin Speer

Support Team
February 21st, 2011, 06:23 AM
We have taken care of this issue and it'll be included in our next release.

Thanks,
Sheli

BryanP
February 21st, 2011, 06:27 AM
That's great! Thank you.

How do we get informed of future releases? How do we check to see if we have the latest release? How do we update our current install?

New CommitCRM user

Support Team
February 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
Once a version is released we send an email to all registered customers as well as posting it here. To check whether you're using the latest release open RangerMSP and from the menu select Help > Technical Support > Check for Updates.

Thanks,
Sheli

BryanP
February 21st, 2011, 06:35 AM
Thank you.

AndreAU
March 14th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have CommitCRM 5.5.0.3 and it happens the same problem..
Is it on the next version that is going to be fixed?

thx

Support Team
March 15th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Yes :-)

raymond
April 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
when deleting a secondary contact, why doesn't the system simply prompt for a replacement contact to be used instead? we could then either select another secondary contact or the main account they all belong to... I don't like the idea of not being able to delete secondary contacts -- that's how things get bloated over time!

thanks --

//ray

Support Team
April 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
You will still be able to delete it. What will happen is that the contact of the main account record will be automatically set instead and the secondary contact being deleted.

HTH
Dina