PDA

View Full Version : Running Client over network is slow

belliez
July 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hi there,

Sorry for 101 questions. I am now using CommitCRM in a live environment and want to get it working 100%.

As per a previous post, I have CommitCRM running on a workstation acting as the server, and as per your instructions I have installed a client version on a 2nd computer via the network share. Itr works great but is very slow at times. i.e. taking 30 seconds to a minute for the asset form to display when creating a new ticket etc.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I am using a wireless network currently and will try a wired network next (but my wirelss network is 100% signal, 802.11n and is pretty fast).

Its running on a brand new desktop Acer Aspire Revo 1GB RAM.

Thank you.

Support Team
July 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Belliez,

Thanks for sending this in.

RangerMSP should work fast on your LAN and it shouldn't take more that a second or so to perform the action you described.

Performance issues like the ones you're describing could be coming from several different directions; however, we can try to see if we can localize the diagnosis. If you could offer me some feedback on the following bullets, we're sure this would be a great help.

Are there any other services running on your RangerMSP server? (Terminal Services, Mail Server, Backup Suite, Antivirus)?

Can you run Perfmon.exe on your RangerMSP server to see if there are any peaks on HD, RAM or CPU performance?

In case you have an Anti Virus installed, white list the RangerMSP server folder and files so it'll not be scanned.

Secondary PCs simply run a shortcut to the execeutable file on the server. If you used UNC try using drive letters or an IP path to the file (this will remove any DNS resolving delays).

Hope this helps. Let us know your findings.

Regards,
Rinat

belliez
July 10th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your help and I have tried your suggestions.

I have two services running on the server you mention:

- Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus and I have set the CommitCRM db and docs folders to be ignored.

I also use Mozy backup service (this only backups up twice per day and the speed of the client seems be all the time and not when backing up is occurring .

I ran Perfmon.exe and it looked normal. No peaks at all.

I am accessing the client exe via network share on a 802.11n wireless LAN.

Doing anything wth the client is very slow. i.e. clicking on New ticket button takes about 30s-minute. Print preview for reports is painfully slow. I am using this client in a customer facing area which I need it to be quick and responsive as I have customers waiting for several minutes just to print out their invoice!

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Support Team
July 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the update.
The antivirus shouldn't be a problem from your description of the exceptions configurations you've set; however, we don't suggest performing direct backups of the RangerMSP folder because it has been known to cause trouble. We've put a script together that automatically backs up the important stuff into a zip file safely while stopping and starting the database properly; we suggest running this script as a scheduled task and having your backup program take the zip file every time it's scheduled to. For more information regarding this topic, please click here.

Wireless routers work on a radio frequency that might be conflicting with some other wifi-networks/Cell Phones/ cordless phones/etc. that also use similar frequencies. We suggest running a scan to see how many neighboring routers there are, and what channel's they're working on. If there's an option to use a vacant channel, you should try that. If they're all being used, then use the one with the least routers on it.

In any case, We'd like to test RangerMSP performance on your network without the wireless connection; this may not be affecting your performance.

Can you tell me if the RangerMSP client on the server performs the same?
You told me you'd test performance via a direct LAN (Ethernet) cable; any news on that?
Can you try using the fully qualified path (<\\RangerMSP_Server_IP>\<RangerMSP_Share_name>\Client\RangerMSP.exe to access the RangerMSP client from a workstation? This way we take out the DNS server out of the loop.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Regards,
Reno

belliez
July 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi,

thank you for your help. After your last message I did a WLAN speed test and was getting speeds of 0.2kbps which is really slow. I tried LAN and it worked perfectly so I think the problem is the WLAN. Its odd because I get good WLAN speeds on eveything else.

I will be testing out the WLAN again shortly to see what local channels are conflicting etc but my 11n router should be selecting the best channel automatically.

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated.

Paul

belliez
July 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hi,

thank you for your help. After your last message I did a WLAN speed test and was getting speeds of 0.2kbps which is really slow. I tried LAN and it worked perfectly so I think the problem is the WLAN. Its odd because I get good WLAN speeds on eveything else.

I will be testing out the WLAN again shortly to see what local channels are conflicting etc but my 11n router should be selecting the best channel automatically.

Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated.

Paul

Support Team
July 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the update; glad to hear that the system is running fine.

I might suggest checking that your firmware is up to date, testing with a different router and perhaps try testing the connection with wireless encryption disabled; other than that, I can’t continue to assist with the wifi issue, since it’s beyond our support scope. In any case, it'll work well once the wifi issue is resolved.

Good luck diagnosing this, and please feel free to let us know what you find out.

Regards,
Reno

hayden
July 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I find CommitCRM over VPN very, very slow.

VPN link is a DSL connection, 12mbit down, 2mbit up. Endpoint connection is 30mbit/30mbit.

CommitCRM takes about 2 minutes to load and about 1 minute to login. Selecting tickets and history takes anywhere between 1-6 seconds to complete. Any solution for this?

Support Team
July 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hi Hayden,

Using RangerMSP over VPN can be sometimes slow. When SQL Database is used, you'll have performance boosts and data processing enhancements that help to make VPN communication faster; however, the initial load time will probably be close to the same it is now. RangerMSP SQL Database also opens the option of using RangerMSP over RDP and Terminal Services, which naturally provides the best performance as the system runs on your LAN, with minimum network transactions. One way or another, supplementing RangerMSP with the RangerMSP SQL Database would benefit your business with faster response from RangerMSP over VPN and WAN communication.

Regards,
Rinat